Thread: Aircraft positions on Operations.

Thanks

Default Aircraft positions on Operations.

Hello. Has any members ever looked at the following files at Kew. AIR 14/2030,31,32, or 33.

Thanks Richard

Thanks

Default Re: Aircraft positions on Operations.

Hi Richard - I have some extracts from 14/2031, happy to pm across when I get chance.

Richard

Thanks

Thanks, that would be great

Richard.k

Thanks

Hi Richards: I am also interested in looking at some of these files, specifically AIR 14/2033. I notice there doesn’t seem to be similar records through to the end of the war. I have been examining the navigator logs and charts for my father’s navigator for Chemnitz, March 5/6, and Dessau March 7/8, 1945. Their position, relative to the route is “quite variable” at times. This in relation to the serviceability of the DR compass and H2S. Damn! This is frightening, going through all of this stuff!

Jim

Thanks

Richard, Jim,

I've added the pics to an album in the image gallery - http://www.rafcommands.com/galleries/members

Not sure if they're going to be readable from there, let me know if not and I can transfer via WeTransfer or somesuch.

Cheers,

Richard
    Last edited by Richard; 25th October 2021 at 18:41. Reason: sorting link

Thanks

Those are fascinating, Richard. I noted the position of the first reliable Gee fix on the Homeward route, for those operations in late 1943 and early 1944, and it seems these were typically just before, at or after the coast of Europe. Dad's navigator recorded Gee fixes as far east as 09 degrees 24' East just NNE of Stuttgart on the return track in March 1945. That demonstrates the importance of the Gee Chains on the continent after the invasion.

Jim

Thanks

Hi. Richard. Thanks for putting up the images. Would the charts also show target time?

Regards, Richard.k

Thanks

Hi Richard K - the charts don't show the TOT, so you'll need to cross-reference with the Night Raid Report or similar. There was probably more in the 14/2031 folder, but my interest at the time was purely the 'maximum efforts' during Battle of Berlin.

Hi Jim, yes the Gee fix on leaving the jamming area could be crucial. I've seen a map of Gee jamming somewhere - it varied in strength/effect across Germany. On the northern route to Berlin, a good navigator could get Gee plots for much of the outward route.

Cheers,

Richard