Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RAF Pilots

Thanks

Pre war recruitment to the RAFVR age ranges. Pilots 18-25, Air Observers and Wireless Operators 18-32 !

Mark

Thanks

Default RAF Pilots

Hi JJ's girl
    In a guide for selection panels 1941,the desired mental attributes of a RAAF pilot were listed as: 'A combination of alertness with steadiness - dependability. promptness in decision - imagination - sense of humour - punctuality, attention to detail - power of observation - good education - all round interests, with a mechanical bent - a leaning towards swift forms of locomotion and a love of flying - strong personality - popular type, inspiring like and respect in his fellows, and a gift for leadership.
    Hope this helps
    Lorraine

Thanks

Lorraine, Hi,
    There is a slight problem.
    I had/have all the atributes quoted in yr last.
    Why was it, then, that I never became either (a) Director General of the UK Met Office, and/or (b) Chief of Air Staff?
    I am, Ma'am, your loyal and devoted servant, and hoping for some signs as to where my career prospects went Tango Uniform!
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Wonderful Peter, wonderful!! :)
    Max
    PS Could be because you're not an Aussie?!

JJ'sGirl Guest

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for writing and contributing to this discussion. Its very much appreciated!

Lorraine, your post is fabulous, thank you so much, that is everything a pilot should be ( or should I say an Ozzie pilot Peter? ha ha just kidding )

In regards to written tests for pilots, does anyone know if these publications are still around today? Are they kept anywhere for us to view?

Thank you again everyone.

Best wishes,
    JJ's Girl

Thanks

JJ's Girl,
    I think you may be working under a slight error!
    Fighter Pilots and "written" and/or "read" tests don't compute. Those abilities were not - in my time in the RAF - given to Fighter Pilots!
    Just Fly The Bloody Aeroplane, and don't crash it too often was all that was required.
    HTH
    Peter Davies

JJ'sGirl Guest

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your response. So can it be confirmed that there never was any sort of written test?
    I assume the same for 'Bomber Pilots'? Any differences?

Thank you.
    JJ's Girl

Thanks

Default Never say never

JJ's girl:
    Whilst it is my understanding that there were no written tests for pilot selection, ie initial training, there most certainly were once the training had started. I have many of my father's classroom notes, it amazes me to see the breadth of what they were expected to learn, including some quite complicated maths (way beyond me!). In fact, my father failed one maths test, it was then he parted company with his friend Max Venton, and had to do part of his course again. A pilot could be scrubbed for failing either his written or flying tests. I'm not sure when the decision was made for allocation to a fighter, bomber, coastal command squadron or whatever: it would depend to a certain extent on the needs of the service at varying times in the war as much as any other factor I would imagine.
    Regards
    Max

JJ'sGirl Guest

Hello Max

Thank you for sharing your father's experience.

It was always my understanding that pilots had to be intelligent, especially due to the math tests, hence thats what I meant by 'written tests'.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Best wishes
    JJ's Girl

Thanks

Default RAF Pilots

Hi JJ's Girl,
    After reading all the replies to your Query just had to sit down and write to you,as what you were asking is quite simple,all you had to be is warm and pass the necessary aircrew medical to be admitted to pilot training,of course this was war time.Maybe if I write of my experience you will get a better idea.
    August 1938 the RAFVR advertised for people to train as pilots,the only stipulation at that time was you had to have a High School education ( this was dropped later on},I applied and passed the medical for aircrew,all the usual things plus strict on eyesight and colour blindness.I passed but being only seventeen and a half had to get my parents signature which was refused.
    October 1939 joined as pilot ( they still had my application etc from previos year) and was accepted but told that there woul;d be quite a wait as the schools were full,finally in April '40 was tired of waiting,they needed Wireless Operator/Air Gunners,so changed over and off I went.While on wireless course at Yatesbury they asked for volunteers to remuster as pilot,of course I applied and again was accepted.
    After Gunnery course was posted to 106 Squadron on Hampdens,jerry bombed us they so posted to 102 Squadron where I survived a tour on Whitleys and Halifaxs and then off instructing at 19 OTU Kinloss.
    August '43 and out of the blue I was posted on the pilots course at last.First to Initial Training where one learned all about theory of flight,engines etc etc. and when one passed all the exams there went to initial flight training at a EFTS flying Tiger Moths.After completing 12 hours one was assessed as to ones ability as a pilot and then from there on to EFTS and then SFTS and finally graduating from there.

This I believe was much the same for the RCAF and RAAF,and that is all there was to it.
    Ed