Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unaccounted Airmen - Unknown Aircraft, Incorrect Serials, Unidentified Types

Thanks

Default Unaccounted Airmen - Unknown Aircraft, Incorrect Serials, Unidentified Types

I have about 685 records with incomplete serials, no serials, unidentified types , wrong serials etc.. Can folks chime in on this worksheet and directly make an entry? Leave your comments in Columns K and L as needed

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BLIoSVzaloL8QJ21xdRHuJEODxhHZqXs-cyWom07LCQ/edit?usp=sharing

there are a fair share of Hurricanes, Spitfires, Beaufighters, Marylands, Marauders in there.. hoping it will trigger some corrections.

Thank you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jagan For This Useful Post:

jonheyworth (11th November 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Unaccounted Airmen - Unknown Aircraft, Incorrect Serials, Unidentified Types

I'm going through RCAF service files on ancestry at the moment.

I've sorted it by mans serial number and am checking some RCAF men.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Re: Unaccounted Airmen - Unknown Aircraft, Incorrect Serials, Unidentified Types

Dennis,

Re your entry "D Burke: Service file mentions Master DM108 - was there a question over this, already listed ?"

I added that information as well as a few others. There was no serial there a couple of hours ago.

Regards,

Dave

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alieneyes For This Useful Post:

dennis_burke (10th November 2021)

Thanks

Great new document, well done glad it also enables members to make additions.

Thanks

I have few suggestions.
    I see no column for aircraft markings.
    There is no column for comments.
    There is no column for sources, which I think are necessary.
    There is no column for nationality, and in case of Polish airmen, double ranks.
    I am afraid, that well intended corrections may cause some mess. I understand that you have a copy of original file, nonetheless I think that original wrong entries should be kept for reference and cross checking if necessary.
    For example, Warburton, he was RAF liaison officer posted to Mount Farm. He was killed flying borrowed Lockheed F-5B serial 42-67325 of 27th PRS 7th PRG. Source: Roy Conyers Nesbit Reported Missing: Lost Airmen of the Second World War.
    1940-09-27 Spitfire N6767 SYDNEY CHARLES - R6767 - to be checked if N is an error or individual letter. BoB T&N.
    F/O Bogdan Bielkiewicz 306 Sqn Hurricane I P3069 UZ-Y - no room to enter his secondary RAF rank and aircraft code. P/0687 - slash is not necessary.
    Franek
    https://www.facebook.com/Franciszek-Grabowski-241360809684411/

Thanks

Thanks folks, please keep them coming, I updated roughly 48 serials and types.. so the records went down from 685 down to 638

Franek,

This is a subset of the Data present in the CWGC and Aircraft Serials tables. So - there is a nationality field in the CWGC Database. There is also an ability to add remarks/data to the CWGC Table.

I get your point of the original file - fortunately Google Sheets excels here - it can store variants of the file, the original version is also preserved.

There are columns for Comment .. eg anything from Column K can be used.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jagan For This Useful Post:

jonheyworth (11th November 2021)

Thanks

Luxon 1199803 , still has an incorrect hurricane appended alongside his correct Wellington death

Thanks

Hi Jon, because the serial P2924 is a Hurricane going by the Serials DB. .. so we have a wrong serial for the Wellington?

Thanks

Jagan,
    I've just added info on a couple of Spitfires.
    Can you confirm you will remove the entry once the correction/comment has been "accepted".
    Andy

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy Marden For This Useful Post:

Jagan (12th November 2021)

Thanks

Thanks Andy, yes I am moving out entries out of that sheet to the second sheet as I complete the updates. (I just did that with yours.. BM399 was missing in my serial Db. so addressed that now)