Thread: Wellington W5461 "The Wimpy" 104 Sqn.

Thanks

Default Wellington W5461 "The Wimpy" 104 Sqn.

Dear Gentlemen,

this is a quite famous one. Please compare the link:

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/site/equip/historical/wellingtonlst_e.asp

This was the second Wellington of 104 Sqn. that got lost on Operation Berlin 12/13. August 1941. While W5443 crashed 0150 hrs. near Sagehorn at the so-called Klüverdamm after it was hit by flak the circumstances of loss and crash site of this Wellington are still unknown to me. Does anyone have further informations?

By the way: I don't actually know if the service record of F/S Sugden RCAF is accessible as he survived like his crew.

Any suggestions are much appreciated as always.

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

Steve,
    Can't find a Sagehorn. Can't find this name in my Germany-map scale 1:150.000. What I know is that the crew (W5443) initially was buried at Rothenburg, unfortunately there are so many Rothenburgs around in Germany.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Dear Henk,

please try google maps. You will find Sagehorn to the East of Bremen (approx. 15km).

The flak report can be found here:

http://home.arcor.de/fliegerschicksale/homepage/quellen/8flakdiv/8_flakdiv.html

The Klüverdamm lies right to the NW of Sagehorn. I have a detailed report with photos about the last minutes of this Wellington and its poor crew. If you want I can send it to you.

Not much of the crew was left to be buried. Today they rest in a collective grave in the Field 10 of the Hannover War Cemetery (10.E.7).

The crew of R1341, first buried at Rotenburg (Wümme) lies buried in Becklingen. Every crew member has his single grave.

This Rotenburg must be the one your information refers to.

Maybe Errol can add something for R1341 and its crash site as they had a New Zealander on board (Sgt Passmore).

kind regards

Steve
    Last edited by Mosquito; 20th September 2008 at 15:24.

Thanks

Hello Steve,
    Found Sagehorn on the map, name not in the index. Info on Rotenburg came from Allison in his 'They Shall Grow Not Old' where he mentions for Sgt William MAXWELL - R/65593: "First buried Town Cemetery of Rotherburg (sic)". No need for more info on W5443; nevetheless thanks for your offer.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Steve,

From my Volume One, not that it adds anything new to the above, however:

Tue 12/Wed 13 Aug 1941
    Bomber Command
    Raid on Hannover, Germany (by 78 aircraft - 5 lost)
    9 Squadron, RAF (Honington, Suffolk - 3 Group)
    Wellington IC R1341/Z - took off at 2127 captained by Sgt E Lewin, RAF, and shot down over Germany, crashing near Rotenburg, 24km NE of Verden, to the east of Bremen. All six crew died and were buried at Rotenburg, but later reinterred at Becklingen, 17km south of Soltau.
    Rear Gunner:vNZ40206 Sgt Ronald Ramsay PASSMORE, RNZAF - Age 22. 235hrs. 26th op.

Errol