Thread: P/O Henry Jean Maurice Joseph D'Avril R202453 425-Squadron Date of Death Question

Thanks

Default P/O Henry Jean Maurice Joseph D'Avril R202453 425-Squadron Date of Death Question

P/O Henry Jean Maurice Joseph D'Avril R/202453 (Posthumously promoted P/O J/93925) 425-Squadron was a W/AG on Halifax PN173 "Q" that was shot down near the town of Frankenberg on the night of 5/6-March-1945. The RAF and Commonwealth Air Forces Roll of Honour - The Unaccounted Airmen Project - has his date of death as March 5. However, I believe it was later than that, as he was subsequently murdered after being marched through the town of Frankenberg. I don't have the book, but his death was the subject of the book, The Mystery of Frankenberg's Canadian Airman by Peter Hessel. I would be interested if anyone has the book who might be able to confirm the date of this airman's death.

Thanks!

Jim
    Last edited by Jagan; 25th December 2021 at 18:13.

Thanks

Default Re: P/O Henry Jean Maurice Joseph D'Avril R202453 425-Squadron Date of Death Question

His death is a presumed date in casualty list 1176 , his remains were found in Frankenburg cemetery on 6th December 1948 having been reported by Frankenburg police as an unknown Canadian on 28 May 1947. His remains were described as " smashed " which tallies with a bale out death as per the returning POW questionnaires, and were identified by his ID disc. There seems to be no hint of any war crimes investigation

Thanks

Default Re: P/O Henry Jean Maurice Joseph D'Avril R202453 425-Squadron Date of Death Question

Hi Jim,

As I guess you know the CWGC data base has his date of death as 5 March 1945. I had a look in Oliver Clutton-Brockets book ‘Footprints on the sands of time’ but he doesn’t get a mention.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Thanks gentlemen. I believe the best information might be contained in Hessel’s book, which I don’t have. He is the main sleuth on this.

https://athabaskang07.wordpress.com/...aurice-davril/

Jim

Thanks

I have an update. Colleagues familiar with the situation have confirmed that D’Avril was murdered in Frankenberg. Hessel’s evidence is compelling. I was confused as there were two towns called Frankenberg and the one in question is 11 km NE of Chemnitz. There is another Frankenberg, abeam to port of the outbound route and I was initially focused on that town. The aircraft crashed near Turning Point “K”, about 18 km SSE of Chemnitz.

Jim