Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sgt. Arnold SMITH / No.463 (RAAF) Sqdn / 11 June 1944

Thanks

Default Re: Sgt. Arnold SMITH / No.463 (RAAF) Sqdn / 11 June 1944

Hello Fred

The document you are seeking is obviously the PoW questionnaire, in the WO344 series at Kew. I have checked in what I have, but the two "A" Smith I have are for airmen captured in my research area, and at the time I copied them, I didn't copy all airmen's questionnaire in the bound volume, as I now usually do. So, it can be a matter of luck that a forumite may have copied it for another reason.

Another hint would be to check the National Archives of Australia website, as the other six crew members were R.A.A.F.. So there's a good probability that some service files and more important casualty file (A705 series) are already digitised. They may contain a report from the sole survivor of the crew, giving détails about the demise of the plane, and may be informations about his capture and captivity.

Worth a try.

Good luck

Joss

Thanks

Default Re: Sgt. Arnold SMITH / No.463 (RAAF) Sqdn / 11 June 1944

Bonjour Joss,

I looked on the website of the National Archives of Australia but all is not digitized and few things appear on this "English" crewman. The PoW questionnaire seems to be a good way to get more information about the man, thank you for this advice because to tell the truth I had not really thought about to take a look into this document for details. So yes, worth to try.

Greetings from Rennes,
    Frederic