Thread: Biggin Hill Chapel update

Thanks

Default Biggin Hill Chapel update

Thanks

Default Re: Biggin Hill Chapel update

Thanks Alex. I was a real Battle of Britain nut in 1970, on the heels of the movie. We went to England to visit my motherís family in Cobham Surrey. I asked to go see Biggin Hill and the Chapel there. I was 13 at the time and very moved with the Chapel. I remember it still.

I signed the petition and used the postal cord for my mother childhood home in Cobham.

Jim

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JDCAVE For This Useful Post:

Alex Smart (2nd December 2021)

Thanks

I had a similar experience with the "Battle of Britain" film, although it started long before the film with all the reports of planes flying over the coast. My first visit to Biggin was for the RAF at Home display in 1968 (or was it 67?) in September. The Spitfire and Hurricane were always a draw after the show along with the chapel in the background. In those days it was a 45 minute cycle ride from Eltham, and this was before the road was widened, and on non air show days we only went to see the gate guards and the surrounding buildings, which were still RAF on that side. The Aircrew Selection Centre was also a big feature and in my mind I can still picture it as it was before the plastic aircraft. I haven't been back since the air show of 2000.

Incidentally the BoB at Home displays were on the RAF side and we used to wander around the various buildings during quiet spell. The sun was always behind you as well, unlike the flashier Air Fair. Shame I didn't have a camera then.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PNK For This Useful Post:

Alex Smart (2nd December 2021)

Thanks

Oddly the RAF Burma on Facebook have deleted my post as seen above.
    Does not seem to effect any other links that I have posted though.

Seems the reason is because I have no profile photo ?