Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canberra Crash Help

Thanks

Default Canberra Crash Help

Hi everyone,

Slightly outside of the normal remit of this board i know, but i'm posting in the hope that someone will have some "gen" for me.

On the 26th of June 1972, 100 Squadron Canberra WJ610 crashed shortly after take-off, killing the 2 crewmen, Flt/Lt N.C. Whitlock and Flt/Lt J.D. Sheran.

I have no more details on this crash, or crew, than those posted above. Can anyone add a little meat to the bone for me?

TIA,

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Times 27th June 1972

2 die in air crash
    Two RAF Officers were killed yesterday when a Canberra aircraft crashed
    into trees and burst into flames at Rougham, Norfolk. They were
    Flight Lieutenant Nicholas Whitlock, who was piloting the aircraft and the
    navigator Flight Lieutenent John Sheran. Both were married

Lost to Service by Colin Cummings has Canberra WJ610 B2 of 85 Sqn (RAF West Rayham).
    Crashed into trees and burst into flames at Rougham, Norfolk whilst approaching to land

Full Names:

Flight Lieutenant Nicholas Charles Whitlock
    Flight Lieutenant John Duncan Sheran

Broken Wings - Air Britain has date 22.6.72 (wrong) but Canberra T.19 WJ610 of 100 Sqn - Location: Rougham, 2m SSW of West Raynham- Cause Dived into ground after take-off after reporting undercarriage failure
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 8th December 2007 at 16:57.

Thanks

19 minutes from query to answer - now that's service Paul, many thanks indeed!!

I can confirm that WJ610 was a 100 Squadron machine, and the crew were also on the strength of 100 Squadron, although the aircraft had spent some periods "on loan" to 85 in the weeks prior to the accident. The ORB also states that the accident happened "shortly after take-off", and also that it was a T.19 rather than a B.2.

To ice the cake, does anyone know where the men are buried?

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

To ice the cake, does anyone know where the men are buried?

No but I know a web site that does

http://www.forcesmemorial.org.uk/roll-of-honour/roll-of-honour-profile.asp?profile=90211
    http://www.forcesmemorial.org.uk/roll-of-honour/roll-of-honour-profile.asp?profile=90210

Will give you DOB, age and Service Number as well

To search

http://www.forcesmemorial.org.uk/roll-of-honour.asp

Thanks

Paul, your help on this has been immeasurable. I owe you enough beer to drown a giraffe.

Many thanks indeed,

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison

Bovina Sancta Guest

The RAF Board of Enquiry into this accident found that on the morning of the 26 June 1972 a pair of Canberra's from 100 Sqn were tasked for a sortie over the North Sea. The weather in Norfolk that morning was poor with low cloud and reduced visability. After a pairs take off at West Raynham, the aircraft entered the low cloud base and started a right turn following the instrument departure. Shortly after entering cloud, the formation No2 (Flt Lt Whitlock) called, "gear problem, lost contact" (with his formation leader in the thick cloud) over the R/T. He then continued in the right turn while the leader rolled out and climbed straight ahead. It was assumed by the Board that the pilot whilst concentrating on his, "gear problem" (not locked up?), failed to monitor his flight instruments sufficently, became disorientated and lost control. The aircraft crashed inverted as described above. Following this crash, formation take off's by Canberra's were prohibited. Only 30 sec stream take off's were allowed.

Thanks

BS,

After a few weeks away from the forum, i've just logged back in to find this comprehensive reply from you. Many, many thanks indeed - i have taken the liberty of copying your detailed answer straight into my 100 Squadron Roll of Honour. I owe you beers also :)

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison

trish Guest

Default Canberra crash help

Hello Greg,
    Nicholas Whitlock was my second cousin.
    I've been researching my family tree and although I was fairly young when he died, I remember the family devastation that his untimely death caused. He was well educated, having attended Sutton Valence School where he played cricket and hockey. He entered RAF Cranwell in October 1966 where, during his time there, he earned College colours for playing Hockey.
    The information I've gleaned from this site about Nicky's fatal air crash has led me on to more research about the accident. Nick's mum (my great-aunt and Godmother) died in 1994, so my only source of family history is my mum (Nick's cousin) She remembers going to his funeral in Oswestry,at the church where he'd been married the year before, although the Roll of Honour states that the cemetery was Emstry in Shrewsbury.
    Nick was known to be an excellent pilot and a fine young man all round.
    Hope this info helps.
    Trish
    Last edited by trish; 30th March 2008 at 17:52.

Thanks

Trish, Hi,
    Quite apart from checking facts and accumulating masses of data, yr last is what this Forum is all about. Hope we have helped you in yr quest.
    Yrs Aye
    Peter Davies

burntstump Guest

Further information available would prefer tel contact number if possible