Thread: WWII RAF/RAF VR operational pilot with dioptric glasses?

Thanks

Default WWII RAF/RAF VR operational pilot with dioptric glasses?

Hi all, I would like to ask if anyone knows any case of RAF/RAF VR pilot flying on operations in WWII wearing dioptric glasses?

I know that there was one case at 311 Sq in 1944-1945 and I would like to know how unique it was at the time.

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Default Re: WWII RAF/RAF VR operational pilot with dioptric glasses?

Possibly the most obvious would have been Erik Hazelhoff Roelfzema DFC.
    He was in the Dutch resistance but later joined the RAF and apparently passed the Flying Medical by using a small lens between his fingers.
    He joined the Pathfinders and I think completed approx 70 operational sorties.
    Made famous by the film 'Soldier of Orange' (Rutger Hauer),it sort of glosses over the RAF stuff but does show a Mossie and a Shackleton (I think - not seen it for years).

rgds baz

Thanks

Depends on the type of service and when vision deteriorated. The RAF would accept flying personnel with corrective vision but on defined conditions:

AP130 (1939)

The Medical Examination for Fitness for Flying

makes a few definitions which have different acceptable standards for flying personnel.

Permanent flying personnel - ie Cranwell cadets, candidates with University nominations, temporary flying personnel on selection for permanent commissions.

Temporary flying personnel - ie candidates for short service commissions, airmen pilots, Auxiliary Air Force pilots, Reserve pilots, University Air Squadron pilots.

Permanent flying personnel
    A candidate with 6/6 vision in each eye, without the aid of correcting spectacles should be accepted.

When the visual acuity is 6/9 in each eye, acceptance is allowed provided that 6/6 in each eye can be obtained by correction.....

When the visual acuity in either eye is worse than 6/9, but not worse than 6/18, the candidate should be deferred for at least 3 months. If at the end of this time he has improved to 6/9, acceptance is possible. Visual acuity below 6/18 in either eye entails rejection.

In the selection of permanent flying personnel from those already serving as temporary flying personnel, the standard of visual acuity should be 6/12 or better in each eye, correctable to 6/6.....

Temporary flying personnel The lowest visual acuity acceptable at first examination is 6/12 in either eye, if vision can be improved with glasses, and if the examiner is satisfied that no further reduction of acuity is likely during the period of service contemplated.....Visual acuity of 6/18 entails permanent rejection.

Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 5th December 2021 at 14:42.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015 to 2022 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi
    I do not know the exact regulation, but around 1941 it was decided, that due to shortages of aircrew, already trained and experienced pilots, whose eyesight deteriorated, should be allowed to fly operationally, unless spectacles were an obstacle to fulfill their duty. This usually meant transfer from FC to BC or CC.
    https://www.facebook.com/Franciszek-Grabowski-241360809684411/

Thanks

Hi all, thank you for your replies.
    Well Franek in my case he resigned his RAF commission in 1941 as he was not allowed to fly and returned back in 1944 when allowed to join the RAF with "practice" in the ATA in the meantime:)

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz