Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naval Air Squadron ORB's at Kew

Thanks

Default Naval Air Squadron ORB's at Kew

Hello to all

A friend of mine and relative of a 838th Naval Air Squadron pilot is going on Friday to Kew as first timer to have a look at records. I would much appreciate to know what is the best way to get the squadrons ORBís form 540 and 541 (if equivalent to RAF), at least from January to May 1944.
    Any known reference he may ask to start ? It wouldnít be an Air 27 matter.
    And, only if time permits, also the 829 Sqn a few months before 15 October 1940, and the same for 812 Sqn before 15 December 1940.

Thanks in advance. Have a nice day
    Gildas

Thanks

Default Re: Naval Air Squadron ORB's at Kew

Hi Gildas
    Iím not certain but I didnít think that the FAA ORBís (or whatever were the FAA equivalent) were at Kew.
    Are they at Yeovilton instead?
    Ian

Thanks

Many thanks Ian, hope someone may answer to that question before Friday.
    Best
    Gildas

Thanks

Gildas,

You might try going to the National Archives website to see if these are in their collection.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Regards,
    Tom

Thanks

Hello Gildas,

Some years ago I looked at all the FAA 'ORB's for the 1939-1940 period that were held in Kew. They are not many and are generally very disappointing in content. They are handwritten in the old 'Foolscap' size copy books. The coverage of events is patchy and officer centered in the main. No F.540 or F.541 as in the RAF ORBs. There are all in the ADM 207 range. There are no such ORBs for 812 or 829 Squadrons for the 1940 period.
    I don't know if there is one for 838 Squadron for 1944. Unfortunately I have no idea what the FAA Museum at Yeovilton has by way of these ORBs.

Hope this helps a little.

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Many thanks Tom and Martin. ADM 207 range is already a very good start
    Regards
    Gildas

Thanks

Hello Gildas

There is a reasonable write up about 838 Naval Air Squadron here - http://www.royalnavyresearcharchive....m#.YbEp7odCepo

It would be worth your friends taking time looking up which stations, Wings (Coastal Command) and RAF airfields the unit was based at and building up a general chronology of movements, then trying to find these locations diaries or records at The National Archives. In the absence of the Squadron diary, it may be the only way to find out more about the units operations. If you post the list here I’m sure others can help locate records for your friend to examine.

Scrolling down I see you have put comments on the page so will already be familiar to you but worth re-visiting.

Kind regards
    Pierre

Thanks

Thanks a lot Pierre for your reply. The first paragraph quoted below is correct :
    On April 20th 1944 No. 838 moved south to join No. 156 GR Wing, RAF Coastal Command at RAF Station Harrowbeer for anti-submarine operations in the English Channel during the build-up to the Normandy invasion.
    But the part about 30 April mission is mostly wrong. To add to the main corrections I already added :
    The mineswheeper was on its side at low tide, and according to another Sqn report, already waterlogged… Local witness also said no more crew on board. So it didn’t fire at all. But surrounding flak including another boat, yes.
    I forward your answer to my friend, thanks again.

Kind regards
    Gildas

Thanks

Hello Gildas

I was looking at some of the 19 Group appendices this evening that I'd copied in respect of some of my own interests and noted that the narratives sometimes have more information than the main ORB.

It would be worth your friends time if they are after operational details for the squadron to have a look, as there are usually details as to patrol routes, summaries for anything that may have been spotted by an individual aircraft e.g. A/838, and any actions or engagements they were involved in. AIR 25/493 for April 1944, AIR 25/494 for May 1944, AIR 25/495 for June 1944 and so on.

All best with the research.

Pierre

Thanks

Hi Gildas
    How did your friend get on at Kew?
    Any luck?
    Ian