Thread: Halifax RG350 16.1.45 426 Sqn

Thanks

Default Halifax RG350 16.1.45 426 Sqn

Dear Gentlemen,

this Halifax was shot down by a night-fighter and crashed 2230 at Börry-Bessinghausen.

Mr. Koenig, who lives in Coppenbrügge, called me up and asked me for help. He found a very badly injured airman of this crew near Harderode. Mr. Koenig believes that this could have been F/S Lacchia RCAF.

Now he wants to get in contact with him or his family. Further he is looking after photos of the crew and its crew members.

Any help is much appreciated.

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

From the
    Globe and Mail, 1945/02/23
    Casualty List 1124

LACCHIA, Aldo Mario, F.-Sgt. Mrs. Serafino Lacchia (mother), 715 Elliott St, Windsor.

using whitepages.ca I think he is still alive!! Do the search for Lacchia in Ontario, no need to print his address here. I sent you a Private message.

his bother Bruno Peter, was also seriously injured with the Western Ontario regiment. I lost the date mentioned for his listing.

regards

Dennis
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 21st September 2008 at 11:19. Reason: enetered PM
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Wow. I didn't expect an answer in such a fast and magnificient way.

I hope those old and wise men will find to another talking about these days and their experiences.

Thank you very much Dennis.

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

Default RG-350 426 Squadron

Steve. The injured airman was indeed Lacchia. Here is the loss of aircraft report.

QUESTIONNAIRE FOR RETURNED AIRCREW
    Loss of bomber aircraft

NUMBER. R-187586
    RANK. F/Sgt.
    NAME. Lacchia A. M.
    SQUADRON. 426
    AIRCRAFT. RG-350 OW-K
    TYPE OF AIRCRAFT. Halifax III
    DATE OF LOSS. 16/17.1.1945
    TARGET. Magdeburg
    HOW MANY OPS. 7
    DUTY. Mid upper gunner
    DATE OF INTERROGATION. 7.5.1945
    INFORMATION EXTRACTED FROM. POW report
    NARRATIVE OF EVENTS FROM TAKEOFF TO LANDING.

Took off night of January 16th 1945 normal trip hit target alright light flak. Just before
    turning point at vicinity of Hanover plane with navigation lights came diving down from
    starboard beam corkscrew and lost him, resumed course then skipper saw another one with
    navigation light from port bow flying parallel course. He started weaving, plane passed under us
    out to starboard quarter. Tail gunner was going to give him a burst but skipper said not yet. It
    then rocked its wings and went down next thing I knew three blinding flashes hit me in the face.
    One seen to hit the fuselage about H2S one on each wing, fuselage and turret started to burn,
    mike went dead, dropped out of turret couldn’t see anything felt for my chute then skipper said to
    jump. Heard no more oxygen mask started to burn, took off helmet. Next thing I remember I
    was at the H2S trying to stand up but couldn’t, crawled back opened rear hatch went out head
    first everything was going black. I pulled cord and held chute with arm next remember a burning
    sensation in crotch tried to pull up on harness couldn’t, relaxed in chute then hit the ground, feet
    were together, rolled on arms to left side, got my wind then found I couldn’t get up. Could crawl
    - after crawling for a while I got exhausted and went to sleep, captured next and taken to hospital.
    Richard

Thanks

Dear Richard,

fantastic additional informations! That is exactly what Mr. Koenig said: The injured airman couldn't walk. He was found half unconcious and totally exhausted. It was a very sad picture he said. Everyone talked about those criminals dropping their bombs onto civilians. Men who would do that couldn't be human beings. But this picture changed totally as he saw this helpless young men. This canadian airman was no monster. Just a human being and another victim of this senseless war...

Thanks a lot Richard.

regards

Steve

Thanks

Just found this website! I am Aldo Lacchia's niece. He passed away just recently, but has two surviving daughters. He survived the fall with two broken hips which were treated by German surgeons at a POW hospital. He was, to my knowledge, liberated by American soldiers while still recuperating. He rarely spoke of his war experiences except to one friend who has only just recently provided the family with a written account of the stories recounted to him. I am not certain if Mr. Koenig is still alive, but I would love to hear more from him of what he knows and if he has photos of my uncle and his crewmates.

Angela

Thanks

Hi Steve,

According to Theo Boiten's Nachtjagd War Diaries the aircraft may have been shot down by Ofw Rudolf Mangelsdorf of III./NJG2 for his 7th victory. He would go on to survive the war with 9 night victories and 1 day victory.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Hello Angela and welcome to RAFCommands. Perhaps reviving this older thread will produce some more information for your family. Good luck with the research.

Regards,
    Bruce Dennis
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS