Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fg Offr Robinson

Thanks

Default Fg Offr Robinson

My main interest is in Flt Sgt Vivian Willetts navigator who lost his life when Havoc Intruder AW398 of 23 Squadron was hit by flak on April 26/27 1942 and crashed into the sea off Dinard. He had previously crewed with Flying Officer Robinson, Unfortunately, I only have his surname, no other details and I wondered if anyone have information on him. I am led to believe Willetts flew 12 sorties with Robinson, would love to know more.

Thanks

Default Re: F O Robinson

There have been some other posts about the loss of this aircraft. Check:
    http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...php?uniq=AW398
    for the links.

Thanks

Default Re: F O Robinson

Hello Andy
    I have already seen the links but thank you for posting them, however, I may have misled you by saying "my main interest is Willetts" which he is, but I am seeking details on his time whilst crewed with F.O. Robinson.

Thanks

Default Re: Fg Offr Robinson

Hi Dannemois,

Look at 22.10.41 - F/Lt. Robinson was attached to R.A.F. (unreadable ) w.e.f. this date.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D8409658

Regards

Mojmir

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vrajm For This Useful Post:

Dannemois (8th January 2022)

Thanks

Hi Mojmir,

It says Watchfield.

From Malcolm's site: http://www.rafweb.org/Stations/Stati...htm#Watchfield

A lot of Beam Approach work.

Regards,

Dave

7. The Following User Says Thank You to alieneyes For This Useful Post:

vrajm (8th January 2022)

Thanks

The following details I transcribed from R.A.F. Form 540 ORB No 23 Squadron (Havoc) 8 March 1942.
    "Sgt Millard at Piox, found an enemy aircraft orbiting with its navigation lights on; followed it and saw strikes from two wide deflection bursts along the wings and fuselage. The enemy aircraft turned on its landing lights and took violent evasive action. More bursts were fired up to 25 yards range resulting in strikes all over the enemy aircraft, which then dived steeply and fired a 6 Star red. At 25 yards, Sgt Millard’s aircraft hit the enemy aircraft’s slipstream and overshot; and the enemy was lost to view. This unidentified enemy aircraft was claimed as damaged."

Q. Anyone know what the term '6 Star red' means. Also, crew members not named, is it possible to find out who they were?

Thanks

Hi Dannemois,

I believe this was Geoffrey Milburn Robinson (RAF.42151), an Australian (born Perth, WA) in the RAAF pre-war on a Short Service Commission in the RAF (1939). According to ORB he flew 14 ops with 23 Sqn RAF between Jan and Jul 41 – 6 on Blenheims and remainder on Havocs including a few inconclusive attacks on enemy a/c. Willetts was crewed with him on all bar one along with a mix of Sgt Lewis, Sgt Symailes, Sgt Stephens and Sgt Campbell. Robinson previously flew with 53 Sqn RAF, 219 Sqn RAF, posted to 54 OTU in Nov 41 and later 456 Sqn RAAF.

Regards, Drew

Thanks

A '6 Star red' was invariably a flare - red in colour, with 6 stars that seperated and illuminated once fired. It was presumably fired by the German a/c in an attempt to either identify the German aircraft as a friendly a/c (similar to 'colours of the day') or at least sow enough doubt in the minds of the attacker, to temporarily cease fire.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jonny For This Useful Post:

Dannemois (10th January 2022)

Thanks

Hi Drew

Thanks for the info much appreciated. As you can see below I have managed to find eight ops for Robinson with Willetts his navigator on six. I'm struggling to find others?

02 Jan 41 F/O Robinson no crew named One of six a/c Night Offensive Patrols in Lille, Beauvals & Abbeyville
    11 Jan 41 Blenheim P/O Simpson, Sgt Willetts, Sgt Nicholls Offensive Patrol over Piox, Beauvals sector but abandoned owing to weather conditions.
    16 Jan 41 F/O Robinson no crew named Three a/c carried out Offensive Patrols in Pois, Beauvals area
    01 Mar 41 F/O Robinson, Sgt Willetts, Sgt Stephens. One of four a/c c/out Intruder Operation in Poix, Amiens Sector (French Occupied Territory)
    10 Mar 41 F/O Robinson, Sgt Lewis, Sgt Stephens One of three a/c c/out Offensive Patrols in Lille area
    13 Mar 41 F/O Robinson, Sgt Willetts, Sgt Lewis One of three a/c c/out Offensive Patrols in Poix
    03-Apr-41 Blenheim F/O Robinson, Sgt Willetts, Sgt Lewis One aircraft Offensive Patrol in Lille-Sud area. One enemy aircraft attacked on landing. No results observed.
    07-Apr-41 Blenheim F/O Robinson, Sgt Willetts, Sgt Lewis Five aircraft Offensive Patrols in northern France. F/O Robinson attacked HE.III at Beauvais. No results observed.
    25-Apr-41 Havoc F/O Robinson, Sgt Willetts, Sgt Lewis Offensive Patrol, Lille area

Roy

Thanks

Found three more for Robinson, Willetts and Lewis.

04 May 41 Havoc YPA
    15 May 41 Havoc YPA
    17 June 41 Havoc YPW

Still a few light