Thread: For Henk especially - F/O BH Bailey

Thanks

Default For Henk especially - F/O BH Bailey

Hallo all,

Shortly before the 'Big Crash' on this website in February I posted an appeal for information on this airman who died on 26 January 1943.

Several members replied with details that allowed me to find the relevant entry in his unit's ORB at Kew, for which my thanks again. Henk Welting indicated then that Bailey was in his 'unaccounted file'. Hopefully the following will allow him to remove Bailey from this 'Limbo'.

Bailey was indeed on board Wellington DV927 / 'F' of 3 (C)OTU when it crashed on 26 January 1943. It was engaged on a Fighter Affiliation exercise with a Beaufighter. The Wellington was seen to take evasive action but then crashed into the ground at Swineshead, near Boston in Lincolnshire. All six on board were killed, including the instructor F/O Bailey. No details of any follow-up investigation or burials were noted in the ORB (AIR 29/705), but the entry speculates that a failure occurred in the aircraft due to the violent manouvers.

Sgt. B.H. Bailey (581429) served with 502 Squadron RAF from at least October 1940 as an air gunner. Commissioned as a Pilot Officer (46343) on 7 August 1941 he continued to serve with 502 Squadron until 19 April 1942 when he was posted to 3 (C)OTU for Gunnery Instructor duties (AIR 27/1958 and 1959)

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Default F/O B.H. Bailey

Hello Martin,
    Nov 3oth horizontally rushed into hospital for a second time within four weeks. Back home 5th Dec. and "at the PC-controls" 10th Dec. First emptied the e-mail inbox and now working on the back log of the RAF Commands Forum.
    Thanks for the confirmation that Bailey also was on DV927/F.
    Best regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi All,

Need to drag this one up again.

On 26-1-43 AUS411143 Sgt. Ashley David LYON RAAF, was killed along with five others in the crash of 3(C) OTU Wellington, DV927.

Lyon's A705 (still undigitised), was incorrectly listed for some time under service number, 41143. This has now been corrected by the NAA.

On re-checking the Item Notes of Lyon's A705, I noticed the inclusion of an additional name ie, 655212 Sgt. (W.Op./Air Gnr.) Harry LOWE.

Could Lowe have also been aboard DV927 on 26-1-43?

Be nice to be able to include/eliminate him from the crew mix.

Col.

Thanks

Coll,
    LOWE (655212) still on the 'unaccounted' list. For the Wellington crew I've besides BAILEY and LYON:
    Sgt P.V. JEROME - 1313956;
    Sgt C.A. RAVENETTE - 1386632;
    Sgt F.G. WILKINSON - 1251252, and
    Sgt H.J. STERNE - 1314126.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hallo Col and Henk,

I can confirm from the 3 (C)OTU ORB (AIR 29/705) that Wellington DV 927 had seven on board when it crashed, all killed. Bailey is shown as the 'Instructor' and the other six as the crew. The names are as Henk lists, including Lyon and a Sgt. H. Lowe. No service numbers are recorded unfortunately.

Hope this helps,

Martin.

Thanks

Hallo all,

I have just realized that my original post in December 2007 clearly states there were six on board when it crashed. My mistake, seven is correct according to the ORB. Apologies for any confusion caused.

Martin.

Thanks

Martin and Henk,

Thanks for your help. Additional info tidies up my file on Lyon.

Col.