Thread: Sqn Ldr Marguor RCAF

Thanks

Default Sqn Ldr Marguor RCAF

Does anyone have any information on S/L (Pilot) MARGOUR RCAF. He was an instructor at the Central Flying School in the UK in early 1943. The story behind this is:

A group of instructors from the Central Flying School; all RCAF Squadron Leaders visited No. 78 Squadron on the 3rd April 1943. While conducting their inspection the crews were preparing for ops to ESSEN, the story goes that they all commented that 'they wished they were going on ops tonight'. Someone picked up on this made the necessary calls to Group etc and hey presto the visitors were all down as 2nd Pilots! One witness recalls the shocked look on their faces and the fact that they spent the entire briefing writing last letters home. I have managed to identify 3 so far but am struggling with S/L MARGOUR. The four men were:

S/L MAGOUR
    S/L BOURCHIER
    S/L SHELFOON
    S/L McGUFFIN

All returned unharmed except for BOURCHIER who was taken POW when his aircraft was shot down. 78 Squadron lost three aircraft that night. Any info welcomed.

thanks
    Daz

Thanks

Default Re: S/l margour rcaf

Dad knew a S/L McGuffin, (RCAF) who was lost on ops on his second tour, in later October 1944, but I think he was promoted S/L in 1944.

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 15th January 2022 at 15:47.

Thanks

Default Re: S/l margour rcaf

Jim

J15712 S/L William Chester McGuffin was awarded an immediate DFC following an incident in August 1944. The London Gazette shows the DFC with 419 Squadron RCAF in November 1944. He was killed in action on the 23rd October 1944 and now lies in the Reichswald Forest War Cemetery, Grave 14.A.6.

Regards

Daz

Thanks

Default Re: Sqn Ldr Marguor RCAF

Hello Daz,

I believe your man is 41350 S/Ldr Howard Fortescue Marcou, DFC, AFC. Canadian in the RAF.

Hugh's database confirms. https://www.rcafassociation.ca/herit...d_all&type=all

Malcolm's entry on Shelfoon features a photograph showing Marcou standing 3rd from right, 2nd row from top. Both Shelfoon and Bourchier in the same photo.

Marcou passed away in Ottawa 5 January 1999. If I still have your email I'll send you a few things on Marcou's 1945 adventures as well as Tony Shelfoon's work as an A/Cdre.

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by alieneyes; 14th January 2022 at 18:29.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alieneyes For This Useful Post:

78SqnHistory (14th January 2022)

Thanks

Default Re: Sqn Ldr Marguor RCAF

Dave,

Thanks and thanks for the emails, I think you are right, the spelling in the ORB is terrible.

Daz