Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P/O W.B. Whitmore, J/91029 RCAF, 257 squadron

Thanks

Default P/O W.B. Whitmore, J/91029 RCAF, 257 squadron

I'm looking for any details on the pilot mentioned in the title. He made a forced landing with his Typhoon near Dubbeldam in The Netherlands on 20 january 1945, due to severe weather conditions that possibly caused icing of wings or instruments. Two other planes of his formation also crashed nearby and both pilots were killed. Whitmore survived and seems to have evaded capture by the Germans.

Thanks

Default Re: P/O W.B. Whitmore, J/91029 RCAF, 257 squadron

Hans,

William Bert Whitmore, born Watrous, Saskatchewan 16 October 1919 d. Victoria, BC January 31 2005. At time of loss, home of record was Ft. William, Ontario (Thunder Bay)

From his obituary in the 5 February 2005 Victoria (BC) Times Colonist:

He joined the RCAF in 1941, then transferred to the RAF and flew with 257 Burma Squadron until taken Prisoner of War. In 2003, he traveled to France and England with his family. He toured the landing beaches in Normandy and attended the opening ceremonies of the Juno Beach Centre in Courseulles-sur-Mer. He had a wonderful visit with a fellow Typhoon pilot in England where they fought WW2 all over again
    Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Were either of the other two men killed Canadian as well?
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks very much, Dave. I Had a picture of Htin-Yain-Lao, but not of Button.
    All the information stated in the links is correct. The Typhoons of 257 'Burma' squadron were ordered to attack a bridge at Leiden, but were prevented from doing so by a snow storm. Alle three Typhoons crashed on the Island of Dordrecht, probably because of icing of wings and/or instruments. I have the exact locations, if anyone is interested. Lao was Burmese.
    Appearantly his plane hit te groud under a steep angle. His body was recovered after the war had ended in july 1945. Button was buried 2 days after his crash. Whitmore seems to have been an evader for some time, but your information from the Victoria Times Colonist states that he ended up as a PoW.

The info on Whitmore might make it possible to contact any living next-of-kin.
    Thanks again!

Thanks

Hello

In his PoW questionnaire (WO344 series at Kew), William Bert Whitmore wrote he was captured at Langwasser, and was in a field hospital near Rotterdam from 23 to 26 January. Then Frankfurt (Dulag Luft) 30 January to 16 February. Following camps not given. Escape impossible, attempted 4 times, not fit, with 3 americans, Lt Dick, Kaufman, Robbins.

I confirm Dave's details in #2, wartime adresse was 1418 Hamilton Avenue, Ft William, Ontario, Canada.

HTH

Joss

Thanks

There's a little bit more on Whitmore which Joss' post reminded me of.

The "Durham" mentioned here is in Ontario.

From the Owen Sound (Ontario) Sun Times 5 May 1945

Mr and Mrs Thomas Blair have received word that their nephew, P/O Bert Whitmore, is safe in Britain. He was reported missing in the latter part of January and only reported a prisoner of war
    about April 25. He lived with Mr and Mrs Blair since he was a young lad and was educated in Durham
    Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alieneyes View Post
    There's a little bit more on Whitmore which Joss' post reminded me of.

The "Durham" mentioned here is in Ontario.

From the Owen Sound (Ontario) Sun Times 5 May 1945

Regards,

Dave
    Hello Dave, I have send you a personal message, but got this in return: "alieneyes has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."[

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jossleclercq View Post
    Hello

In his PoW questionnaire (WO344 series at Kew), William Bert Whitmore wrote he was captured at Langwasser, and was in a field hospital near Rotterdam from 23 to 26 January. Then Frankfurt (Dulag Luft) 30 January to 16 February. Following camps not given. Escape impossible, attempted 4 times, not fit, with 3 americans, Lt Dick, Kaufman, Robbins.

I confirm Dave's details in #2, wartime adresse was 1418 Hamilton Avenue, Ft William, Ontario, Canada.

HTH

Joss
    Hello Joss, that surely Helps.

Strange thing is: I knew about these questionaires and did search the NA for one concerning Whitmore, but did not find it. I must have done something wrong. These questionaires are not digitized. Do you have a scan of Whitmore's questionaire?

For some reason (I will look into this) Whitmore is mentoined as an evader in the record of his crash in the 'Verliesregister' (loss register) of the SGLO:
    search T/R number (studiegroepluchtoorlog.nl)

But as he was in a field hospital in Rotterdam from 23 januari (crash was on 20 januari), as you state, he can't have evaded capture for very long.

I am a local of the area where he crashed and the name "Langwasser" (which probably is not the correct spelling, but more a phonetical representation of a name he has heard mentioned) does not ring a bell with me at the moment. But maybe it will come to me later.

Thanks

Hans,

I've removed some old messages. Should be no problem now.

Regards,

Dave