Thread: Grp. Capt. Charles Appleton and Operation Jubilee.

Thanks

Default Grp. Capt. Charles Appleton and Operation Jubilee.

On 18 August 1942, according to the RAF Tangmere ORB, the AOC 11 Group, AVM Leigh-Mallory, and his SASO, Air Cdr. Gilbert Harcourt-Smith, arrived at the Station. During the afternoon, a briefing was held in Tangmere’s Intelligence Hut to explain the pending operation over Dieppe. It was chaired by Leigh-Mallory and Harcourt-Smith, and attended by an ex-41 Squadron pilot Grp. Capt. Charles H. Appleton DSO DFC, the Tangmere Wing Commander Flying, ‘Johnnie’ Walker, and the Commanding Officers and Flight Commanders of the Squadrons based in the Tangmere Sector for the operation: 3, 32, 41, 43, 66, 87, 88, 107, 118, 129, 130, 131, 174, 175, 245, 253, 309 412 and 501. At the briefing’s conclusion, Appleton took the COs and Flight Commanders of the eight Hurricane and Hurri-Bomber Squadrons aside for a separate briefing on their roles, followed by another for the same officers of the nine Spitfire Squadrons.

Question: What was Appleton's role in this? What was his posting/position/office at the time, and why did the responsibility for briefing the Hurricane and Spitfire Squadrons fall to him?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Steve,

I can't answer your questions for sure, but I would guess that as the SASO of 11 Group he would have been heavilly involved in planning the air side of Jubilee so it would make sense for him to explain the plan to this group of senior officers, not least the fact that all of the supporting Hurricane Squadron C/O's were present.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks

Steve B, Hi
    There's quite a bit about C H Appleton in the Flight archives. He appears to pick up a Czech 'gong' in 1943. The citation for that may give a clue? (Pavel should be able to find it!!). Then he goes MIA in 1944? He was (presumably?) a Fighter Jock? and went MIA during the Caen/Falaise bit of the Normandy campaign leading his Wing.
    If I had to bet some of your money on it I would go for (1) Gp Capt Plans 11 Gp, or (2) Gp Capt Ops 11 Gp.
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Steve there is an old post in which Hugh Halliday has provided a biography

http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=11139&forum=DCForumI D6&archive=yes

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Hi Steve, Peter and Dave

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Dave, the citation for Appleton's DSO in Hugh's old post - which I don't recall ever having seen - shows he was Sector Commander, so fully answers my query, thank you.

In fact, separately to his involvement with 41 Squadron at Tangmere during Jubilee, I have an interest in Appleton as he was a pilot with 41 Squadron between the wars. As such, it will be interesting to compare Hugh's bio to the information I already have on him.

Thanks for your help

Regards
    Steve

PS. Peter:- Pavel's O.D.'d on ORBs and so is taking a break today to do a bit of sightseeing and sampling of the local ales instead! :-)
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm