Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crew of BK646 Stirling of 75 Squadron (RNZAF)

Thanks

Default Crew of BK646 Stirling of 75 Squadron (RNZAF)

Hi, I'm interested if anyone can assist. My wifes Grandfather Flying Officer (Pilot) John Lloyd Edwards who was killed in action when Stirling BK646 from 75 Squadron was shot down over France on the 15/06/1943
    The other crew members were as follows:

P/O R G Kirby (evaded capture)
    Sgt.(Nav.) E G Dunnett RNZAF (taken POW)
    Sgt. (W.Op.) B W Rawlinson RNZAF (taken POW)
    Sgt. (Flt.Eng) J G F Sansoucy RCAF (evaded capture)
    Sgt. (Air.Gnr) E A F Jones (taken POW)
    Sgt. (Air.Gnr) T Maxwell (taken POW)

I have made contact with the relatives of P/O R G Kirby, SgtE G Dunnett and Sgt. B W Rawlinson but would like to contact the relatives of the other crew members and of Haupt Walter Fenske, the German pilot who shot the aircraft down and was later killed in 1944. There may be a commemoration ceremony in 2008 in the local town of Moulines.

I have AIR24/262B reports K47 and K61 which contain well detailed accounts of the circumstances leading to the destruction of this aircraft, and WO208 Class of records, files 3314 (-)1392 and 3325 (- )1451 which provide further information on the two evaders

Thanks

Default Sansoucy

Hi,

It looks as if this man was still RCAF in 1957:

220443 S/L GF Sansoucy, ADCHQ, visited RCAF Station Gander for Telecom staff visit.

Does the service number tie up with your man?
    From National Archives of Canada it looks like he was still around in 1971.

Was this a relative, brother maybe, from obits in Legion magazine:

SANSOUCY Private Henri-Louis Army World War 2 Thetford Mines, Quebec 2001
    November/December 2001

and from Hugh Halliday's Honours and AWards database:

SANSOUCY, Sergeant (now P/O) Joseph Germain Fabien (R66953/C86345) - Mention in Despatches - No.75 Squadron - Award effective 1 January 1945 as per London Gazette of that date and AFRO 425/45 dated 9 March 1945. Home in Iberville, County, Quebec; enlisted Montreal, 27 August 1940.

Regards,

Ann
    Last edited by Ann Sadler; 3rd January 2008 at 16:18.

Thanks

Default New Zealand contact maybe

hello,

A long time ago (more than 5 years ago I think) I was contacted by people from New Zealand, because I was French and they thought I might help them (they got my details from one of my contacts "downunder". I provided them a few details from my various books, but the crash occured in western France, and I live in northern France, so I couldn't help them further. But I may have kept something in my hard disk, like exchange of e-mails.

There were 2 RNZAF members in the crew, but I don't remember which one.

I'll get back to you if I find something in my old records...

Joss

Thanks

Default faster than expected but useless

hello,

It was in august 2003 that I was in touch with Dunnett's son but I see that you are already in touch with the family. An extract from the mails I've kept :

"Dad's name was Eric Dunnett.His rank in the air force was fl sgt I think. My name is different because Dad changed our family to Douglas in 1960. From then on he was Eric Douglas until his death in 1980."

Sorry for the wrong hope...

Joss

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jossleclercq View Post
    hello,

It was in august 2003 that I was in touch with Dunnett's son but I see that you are already in touch with the family. An extract from the mails I've kept :

"Dad's name was Eric Dunnett.His rank in the air force was fl sgt I think. My name is different because Dad changed our family to Douglas in 1960. From then on he was Eric Douglas until his death in 1980."

Sorry for the wrong hope...

Joss
    Hi Joss,

The Stirling according to the archives of the Lost Bomber Command was loss declined to Moulines (Calvados).
    And it is the village of Moulins (Ille & Vilaine) in Brittany.

Dan

Thanks

Default many many thanks

Dear Joss , Dan and Ann,

Thank you very much for your input - it is really appreciated. I am in contact with Eric Dunnetts family, through an amazing stroke of luck. Back in November I googled the flight number and the pilots name (Edwards - my wifes Grandfather), and as well as a couple of family history postings of mine, I also found this French website :

http://www.absa39-45.asso.fr/airfield/pertesraf.html

I emailed Daniel Dahiot who runs it and it turns out , that while his site covers all of Northern France, BK646 came down 2 miles from where he lives. He knows people who remember it happening and he had been in contact with the family of Dunnett who visited the site some years back. I already was in contact with Kirbys family through the genesreunited family history board. Daniel was able to give me the family contact for Dunnetts family (now Douglas), who in turn gave me the contact details for Rawlinsons family, also in New Zealand. That's four families out of seven accounted for.

Daniel has been fantastic and the site for BK646 is expanding

http://www.absa39-45.asso.fr/15%20juin%2043/15__juin_43.html

He hopes that in 2008 there will be a commemoration in Moulins and we hope to attend along with the other families, hence the search for the other crew members.

I must also add that through Anns hard work I now have contacts in Canada who are pretty close to locating a nephew of Joseph Sansoucy. Fingers crossed , but I hope to have confirmation in the next few days.

That will leave Sgt. Maxwell and Jones still to trace, and here I think I'll be relying on my internet "paper trail", RAF records forwarding on letters (I'm not next of kin so cannot obtain their service records) or perhaps a clue in the PoW debriefing questionnaires (thanks again to Ann for the pointer)

this whole process has been an amazing experience
    Last edited by jives11; 6th January 2008 at 11:24.

Thanks

Hi,

The only thing I can add is the following Aschussmeldung by the German night fighter pilot:

Hptm. Walter Fenske: 15 11./NJG5 Stirling 12 km. S.E. Rennes: 2.500 m. 02.15

Fenske was killed in air combat on 27 March 1944 at Kröpplingen, with a tally of 10 nighttime and 7 daylight victories to his credit.

I would be interested to know if there are any photos of this Stirling crew and of the a/c they flew, for possible publication in a 2nd edition of the Nachtjagd War Diaries.

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

"That will leave Sgt. Maxwell and Jones still to trace, and here I think I'll be relying on my internet "paper trail", RAF records forwarding on letters (I'm not next of kin so cannot obtain their service records) or perhaps a clue in the PoW debriefing questionnaires..."

Through my experiences trying to trace relatives of a bomber crew over the last (nearly) three years, may I suggest letters to newspapers in their hometowns? Even if you don't get a "direct hit" with a family member, you may hear from someone who knew them and is able to help. It's a long and often frustrating task, but very worthwhile when you succeed.
    regars
    Max Williams

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galgos View Post
    "That will leave Sgt. Maxwell and Jones still to trace, and here I think I'll be relying on my internet "paper trail", RAF records forwarding on letters (I'm not next of kin so cannot obtain their service records) or perhaps a clue in the PoW debriefing questionnaires..."

Through my experiences trying to trace relatives of a bomber crew over the last (nearly) three years, may I suggest letters to newspapers in their hometowns? Even if you don't get a "direct hit" with a family member, you may hear from someone who knew them and is able to help. It's a long and often frustrating task, but very worthwhile when you succeed.
    regars
    Max Williams
    Thanks Max,

My problem is I don't even know their home towns. I'm guessing they were both in their early 20's , so probably born around 1920 +/- 5 years ?

There is now some doubt regarding Jones initials. I had been relying on data on the lostbombers website where Jones is listed as E.A.F Jones. however in both AIR24/262B reports (K.47 & K.61) he is listed as A.F. Jones.

and in the POW list there is both an E.F Jones and an A.F Jones ! Maybe they got merged when the data was transcribed ? Anyway it means I have 2 possible POW and service numbers.

LostBombers may be right. While other crew members have RCAF and RNZAF next to their names, Jones has nothing , like a few other members, which I assume means default i.e RAF and in the POW list A.F Jones is RNZAF. This could still be right though as 75 Squadron was RNZAF .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Theo Boiten View Post
    Hi,

The only thing I can add is the following Aschussmeldung by the German night fighter pilot:

Hptm. Walter Fenske: 15 11./NJG5 Stirling 12 km. S.E. Rennes: 2.500 m. 02.15

Fenske was killed in air combat on 27 March 1944 at Kröpplingen, with a tally of 10 nighttime and 7 daylight victories to his credit.

I would be interested to know if there are any photos of this Stirling crew and of the a/c they flew, for possible publication in a 2nd edition of the Nachtjagd War Diaries.

Cheers, Theo
    Thanks Theo, yes - I have that info , and a picture of him. I cannot find it now but I thought I'd read he may have died in a test flight. The other crew member looked from the German like a Ground Crew or test engineer ?

I don't have any crew & aircraft picture alas. The aircraft was a Short Stirliing Mk 1 AA-N