Thread: RAF Regt Initial Formation

Thanks

Default RAF Regt Initial Formation

Dear All,
    Do we have a Resident Expert on the Forum who knows everything about the early days of 818 Sqn (subsequently 2818 Sqn) RAF Regt? They formed (un-numbered) in Apr 41. They became 818 on 19 Dec 41 at RAF Theale. They became 2818 when The King signed The Rockapes Charter on 1 Feb 42!
    The reason I ask is that 818/2818 Sqn is said (by a fair number of authorities) to have formed at RAF Theale (my local airfield!!!). Now RAF Theale was, at that time, not really an RAF Station. It had that title, but it was, basically, an EFTS staffed by Civilian Instructors from Phillips & Powis at Woodley!
    Now if a large gang of the Regt had pitched up at Theale (looking - as most of 'em used to! - for the Cookhouse and/or NAAFI) they would have been sadly disappointed! What I'm trying to determine is (a) did the Sqn come as a formed Unit, or (b) did an Officer and a couple of persuasive SNCOs arrive and start recruiting from the gullible youths of the area?
    Most of what was the airfield at RAF Theale is now a Water Sports Park, but the pub at Sheffield Bottom is still there (aka NAAFI?).
    Who knows? - please tell me!!
    TIA
    Peter Davies

John Wright Guest

From my studies of the RAF Regt.the date and location was the place of the change from 818 Defence Squadron to 2818 RAF Regt.Squadron.A check of the Squadron ORB would confirm this.
    In the early days many Regt.Squadrons were under canvas due to lack of accommodations and the needs of their deployment.

John

Thanks

John, Hi,
    Thanks for that. Sorry delay in replying - my computer system has been having trouble with me!!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies