Thread: 57 Squadron loss - Air Component of the BEF - 11 April 1940

Thanks

Default 57 Squadron loss - Air Component of the BEF - 11 April 1940

Can anybody assist with a 57 Squadron query during its time with the Air Component of the B.E.F - would a loss be in Chorleys 1939 - 1940, which I don't hold?

I am looking for a report on the loss of a Blenheim flown by Archibald Stewart on 11 April 1940 - details of the mission and the crew would be greatly appreciated.

He was confirmed as a Pilot Officer on 12 July 1938 he was promoted to become a Flying Officer (War Substantive) on 12 April 1940, the day after his crash.

I have been contacted by one of his son's and I am trying to fill in a few blanks in his career, this being one of them!!

Thanks in anticipation

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Hi Alain
    The incident is mentioned in Chorley Vol 1 and Battle of France-then and now. Blenheim IV L9181 was on a night reconnaissance flight when control was lost in a turn soon after t/o. The a/c crashed at Foucacourt-en-Santerre, north of Lihons. Stewart(given the rank of F/O in B-of-F) baled out but broke a leg when he hit the tailplane, Sgt C Simpson(Obs) baled out safely. The Gunner AC1 G Lindsay was killed, and he is the only name mentioned in Chorley Vol 1 who also has the flight as training and mentions that the Apr records for 57 Sqn were lost in France. The rest comes from B-o-F.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Allan,

Chorley has:

11 Apr 1940
    57 Sqn Blenheim IV L9181 DX-
    Training
    Crashed at Lihons (Somme), 20km NNW of Roye, France. AC1 Lindsay is buried at le Quesnel (Somme), France.
    Note: The April 1940 records for 57 Squadron were lost during the evacuation.

Graham Warner's 'The Bristol Blenheim - a complete history' (1st ed) states the duty as 'on recce mission from Rosieres', rather than 'training'.

Errol

Thanks

Default A C Stewart - 57 Squadron loss 11 April 1940

gentlemen

Many thanks - I shall pass this over to his son immediately.

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Update via Martin Gleeson

AIR 81/1994 is for 57 Squadron Blenheim L9181, lost on 11 April 1940. The observer who baled out was 561359 Sgt. Colyn Angus Simpson

Thanks

Thanks Paul, and Martin.

I appreciate the update, even after 9 years.

Cheers

Allan
    Allan Hillman