Thread: 203267V Captain Hector Omdurman MACDONALD - 'Unaccounted'

Thanks

Default 203267V Captain Hector Omdurman MACDONALD - 'Unaccounted'

Hi all,

This ‘Unaccounted’ SAAF airman, buried at Takoradi in Ghana, died on 02 Dec 1943

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...php?qnum=91333

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/fi...ctor-omdurman/

On looking at the Grave Registration Form, I noticed a number of others died on the same date, all listed as 26 (SAAF) Sqn and buried in sequential grave numbers. Sure enough, on looking at AIR 27,

Takoradi
    2/12/43
    “A tragic accident occurred during a training flight this afternoon. Wellington “R”, flown by Major Perkins with 2/Lt Saul as WOP, and four passengers – Capt MacDonald, Sergt. Motley, and A/Mechanics Bee and Van Zyl – was airborne shortly after 1400 hours on a fuel dropping and practice bombing exercise, during which they were to land at Accra to enable Captain MacDonald to connect with a Union bound aircraft, and also to ???

The aircraft was seen to climb normally to 800 to 1000 feet. It then went into a left hand turn which became steeper and steeper. It lost height rapidly in the turn and struck the sea before recovering, bursting into flames on impact. Aircraft “D” which was airborne about two minutes earlier was immediately contacted by R/T, and circled the spot searching for survivors. Two or three native canoes from a nearby fishing village put out immediately from the shore and at the same time the high speed Launch ??? and two of HMMLs put to sea, reaching the scene of the accident in a short time. The dinghy was recovered fully inflated, having been correctly operated by the immersion switch. The bodies of Major Perkins, Captain MacDonald, and 2/Lt Saul were recovered by the Crash Boat. It was evident that all the occupants of the aircraft had been killed instantaneously.”

102763V Major Robert Perkins
    96223V 2/Lt Edward Lawrence Saul

203267V Captain Hector Omdurman MACDONALD
    135120V Sergeant Cecil Godfrey Motley
    209691V Air Mechanic Arthur Lawrence Bee

All buried at Takoradi.

207554V Air Mechanic D E Van Zyl is commemorated on the Malta Memorial.

On further Googling, the South African War Graves project have Captain MacDonald covered, and give the aircraft as Wellington LN384

https://www.southafricawargraves.org...t.php?id=14208

Regards,

Jeff

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RecklessRat For This Useful Post:

Jagan (8th March 2022),jonheyworth (9th March 2022),paulmcmillan (8th March 2022)

Thanks

Default Re: 203267V Captain Hector Omdurman MACDONALD - 'Unaccounted'

DERRICK ERROL VAN ZYL
    Service No: 207554V.
    DOD 1943-12-02

4. The Following User Says Thank You to paulmcmillan For This Useful Post:

RecklessRat (8th March 2022)

Thanks

Hello,

102763V Major Robert PERKINS SAAF.

Recorded on the King Edward VII School, Johannesburg - World War 1939-1945 Roll of Honour as, Major Rupert Maliss PERKINS SAAF.

http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol014pd.html

Also mentioned as 'Rupert' on his headstone.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/fi...s/#&gid2&pid=1

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 9th March 2022 at 05:54.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to COL BRUGGY For This Useful Post:

Jagan (8th March 2022),RecklessRat (9th March 2022)

Thanks

Looks like the CWGC records are wrong!!

I applied to change CWGC but not hopeful - I could only provide evidence of their own headstone and the School Obit listing
    Last edited by Jagan; 9th March 2022 at 16:19.

Thanks

Thanks for the update, Col - not sure how I missed that!

And thanks to Paul for A/M Van Zyl's first names

Regards,

Jeff

Thanks

I have sent CWGC an update

Re: #00123798.

More evidence - I have found Major Rupert Maliss PERKINS SAAF. (not "Robert" PERKINS )

Death Certificate and Probate Notice which both confirm his names as above from familysearch

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post
    Looks like the CWGC records are wrong!!

I applied to change CWGC but not hopeful - I could only provide evidence of their own headstone and the School Obit listing
    SUCCESS well done CWGC

Thank you for making contact with us regarding our record for Major Perkins, SAAF. I understand that you had seen the name 'Rupert' included in the personal inscription on his headstone, and noted that it differed from the name of Robert in the other elements of our record. As I'm sure you will be aware, many families had their own personal names for their loved ones which were different from those in the official record. They may well have chosen to use that very intimate choice in the inscription.Therefore by itself, the discrepancy doesn't necessarily indicate that our record is wrong - in fact we had 'Robert' recorded on various documents. To make any change to our records we do require evidence from multiple official documents. Fortunately I have managed to locate birth, marriage and death certificates from South Africa which confirm your thoughts. I hope you will be pleased to hear that I have now corrected his name to Rupert Maliss Perkins - you will see the update on our website in the next few days.

Please accept my apologies for the length of time take to respond to your request on this occasion - we appreciate your patience whilst we were prioritising other aspects of our work.

Thank you for your support in ensuring that men such as Major Perkins and those who were killed in the same accident, are never forgotten

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paulmcmillan For This Useful Post:

Alex Smart (15th July 2022),Jagan (15th July 2022),RecklessRat (15th July 2022)

Thanks

Good stuff, Paul! Thanks for chasing this one up
    Cheers,
    Jeff