Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 176021 FSgt Leonard James Richard SMITH

Thanks

Default 176021 FSgt Leonard James Richard SMITH

76 Sqn Halifax MZ604 crashed early on 3 June 1944 at Longvilliers, Yvelines, France, 6 crew died, my father the navigator was sole survivor. He died in 2000. I have completed researching the crash and now trying to find family of the crew to share the information. So far I have found Bomb Aimers family in Australia and Rear Gunners family in Glasgow. Other crew members are in hand, but.... I am at a complete standstill with pilots family. Could anyone advise me how/where to start looking for family of 176021 Pilot Officer Lionel James Richard SMITH - believed to be Flight Sergeant at time of crash - FSgt in Chorley book, PO in CWGC - son of Frank Lawrence Smith and Agnes Maud Smith of Ipoh, Perak, Malaya. I have tried to obtain a copy of his RAF service records without any success. The name Smith is so very difficult to work with. Any help and advise no matter how small would be gratefully received. Thank you.
    Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 25th September 2008 at 21:33. Reason: correcting error in a/c no

Thanks

Default 176021 FSgt Leonard James Richard SMITH

Norman,

Have you thought of contacting the Malaysian High Commission in London?

http://www.kln.gov.my/perwakilan/london

I know of the nephew of a 101 Squadron crewman who was trying to find the relatives of his uncle's pilot who was a British expat in Argentina at the start of the war. He contacted the British Embassy in Buenos Aires and was almost immediately put in contact with the man's brother.

I would also contact the appropriate expat associations in Malaysia as they might be able to assist you.

http://www.malaysia.alloexpat.com/malaysia_information/expatriate_associations_malaysia.php

Sadly, the Ipoh City Hall website is all in Malay but between the two links above you may strike gold.

Dave

Thanks

Thank you Dave, I hadn't thought of any of these.

Thanks

Gazette Issue 36570 published on the 16 June 1944. Page 4 of 10

ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    Appointment to commission.
    As Plt. Offs. on prob. (emergency):—
    14th May 1944
    1372333 Leonard James SMITH (176021)

Note third christian name not used in the London Gazette.

I posted this here to reduce the duplicate posts.

Note that his enlilstment number, 1372333 woudl fit into this batch

1365001 to 1375000 Aug 1940 Edinburgh

Meaning that while his parents are listed on CWGC as being in Malaya, he may well have come from Scotland and enlisted sometime AFTER, Aug 1940. I understand that the CWGC next of kin details can be misleading at times as it lists the next of kin place of living post war. I have an example of one man who came from Shipley, died in the war but his parents are listed as from Hest Bank, where they moved after the war. Check out scotlands people site perhaps.

regards

Dennis
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 1st May 2009 at 14:06. Reason: Added enlistment details
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Many thanks Dennis. This is very interesting

Thanks

Dennis, Further to your kind information, I have copies of the Form 540s for 76 Squadron and all the operational entries for Leonard Smith - from joining squadron in March 1944 to fatal flight in June 1944 - have FSgt against his name. Although I do accept its the same man, its confused me a little. Please could you explain? Thank you.
    Norman

Thanks

Here is my best guess.
    He died on 3 June while still a F/Sgt

His commishion to P/O was not published until 16 June and this was administrativly back dated to May 14th.

So, and while I'm only guessing, on the day he died he and the Squadron possibly would have had no idea that he had been commishioned or at least wouldn't know that it had been authorised. Hence him being F/Sgt in all the squadron records.

I'm only stabbing at guesses here now.

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thank you Dennis. It now makes sense to me.

Thanks

Default Tracing family 'Smith' from Ipoh

Quote Originally Posted by namrondooh View Post
    76 Sqn Halifax MZ604 crashed early on 3 June 1944 at Longvilliers, Yvelines, France, 6 crew died, my father the navigator was sole survivor. He died in 2000. I have completed researching the crash and now trying to find family of the crew to share the information. So far I have found Bomb Aimers family in Australia and Rear Gunners family in Glasgow. Other crew members are in hand, but.... I am at a complete standstill with pilots family. Could anyone advise me how/where to start looking for family of 176021 Pilot Officer Lionel James Richard SMITH - believed to be Flight Sergeant at time of crash - FSgt in Chorley book, PO in CWGC - son of Frank Lawrence Smith and Agnes Maud Smith of Ipoh, Perak, Malaya. I have tried to obtain a copy of his RAF service records without any success. The name Smith is so very difficult to work with. Any help and advise no matter how small would be gratefully received. Thank you.
    Norman
    Hi Norman

was perusing messages and told Stan about you looking for an Ipoh connection and he said that he has contacts who might be able to help as he is a member of the NMBVA as he was posted there

Terry

Thanks

Default Tracing family 'Smith' from Ipoh

Thank you Terry. May I ask who is Stan and what is NMBVA? thank you.
    Norman