Thread: R.A.F. Lists

Chris Woods Guest

Default R.A.F. Lists

New member.

I am looking for sources of the annual R.A.F. Lists of officers and warrent officers, and wonder whether any have been published online.

In particular, I have been asked to find out about an R.A.F. warrant officer in WW2 who served in the catering section, and was awarded the Croi de Guerre.

As such, I wondered whether there he may have been listed in one of the wartime R.A.F. Lists

He may have joined the R.A.F. before WW2, although he may have risen throught he ranks to warrant officer level. At present, we do not have his service record.

Ay help or suggestions for further research would be much appreciated,
    thank you,
    Chris

Thanks

Chris

A name would be helpful - People on this site have access to pre-war and post war RAF Lists and if they had a name then they could look up for you!

Regards

Paul

Thanks

Chris,

"I am looking for sources of the annual R.A.F. Lists of officers and warrent officers"

The List was published monthly between the wars. By 1944 publication was quarterly only (Jan, Apr, Jul and Oct), from 1963 Spring and Autumn only and then annually from 1980.

Warrant Officers in the List are indexed but the only details given about them in the main body of the work are surname, initials, date of appointment and (from WWII onwards) service number.

Full or near full sets of the List are held at National Archives at Kew and at the RAF Museum at Hendon.

Errol

Chris Woods Guest

Default R.A.F. Lists

Good morning again, and thank you for your replies.
    Sorry for the delay in acknowledgement - I am new to this and thought replies would automatically appear on my own inbox.

The Warrant Officer I am trying to find about was David Horatio COOPER, b.4/7/1890

First reference to the R.A.F. is a envelope (empty) amongest his papers:
    "forwarded to c/o Officer Commanding No 23 ( Fighter ) Squadron Royal Airforce, Henlow , Bedfordshire 5/11/1925"

Although English, he served in WW1 in the C.E.F. as a gunner.
    He first appears in a photo in an R.A.F. uniform in 1932-34...forage cap but no badges visible. We think he may have joined the R.A.F. reserve at this stage but this is only a guess. Was the R.A.F. Reserve was formed in 1925?

He was certainly in the R.A.F. during WW2, ending up as a Warrant Officer, apparantly in the Catering Department.

We have a group photo of him with other Warrant Officers at Briz Norton in 1943 where most are wearing forage caps (is that the right term), and the Warrant Officers have some sort of large badge (? crown) on each lower sleeve. He appears to be wearing two medal ribbons but these are not clear enough to identify.

He was involved in the Normandy Landings when supposedly he received a Mention in Dispatches, and the Croix de Guerre for his abilities regarding supplies, but suspect this latter may not be correct.

By the end of the war he appears to have been based in Sussex ?Brighton, possibly involved with PoWs., and there is a photo showing involvement in some large banquet in one of the principle hotels there.

I'm sorry this is all rather vague - mostly family anacdotes, but I can email the group photo for anyone interested. I also have the names of all the RAF personnel in this photo.

Any further thoughts would be much appreciated, and in particular any List return with his details from the late war or early post war period would be of particular interest,

Thank you,
    Chris

Thanks

Chris,

Acording to the RAF Air Force List of November 1941, his number was 344604. He appears there as a warrant officer under a seniority date of 1 Jul 1941. He is still there as such in the October 1946 edition.

His number falls into the 340001-360000 band that was allotted to aircrafthands enlisting in the RAF in the September 1919-June 1925 period.

Errol

Chris Woods Guest

Good afternoon Errol (despite our 80 mm of rain),

That is really marvellous - more than we had hoped for.
    A very big thank you,
    Chris