Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coastal command lost liberator

Thanks

Out of curiosity I posted threads on the LEMB and U-boat.net forums to see if there were any Luftwaffe or U-boat claims for this loss. There were none. I'm unsure how to trace claims by Sperrbrecher (note spelling) or any Kriegsmarine ships, as there doesn't appear to be a dedicated forum.

Brian

Thanks

The unit most likely involved in the loss of KG964 would be 3. Sperrbrecherflotille, the vessels of which, operated in the area in which the Liberator was lost.

http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/km/spbr1-8.htm

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 1st October 2013 at 11:34.

Thanks

Thank you for the pointer, Col.

Following on from your post I posted a request for help on the Marine Archiv forum at http://www.forum-marinearchiv.de/smf...p?action=forum. The forum normally deals with German maritime matters but, strangely, the responses have all been in respect of Luftwaffe activity (not helped by the fact that my initial post quoted the wrong date - 26/27 Feb, rather than the 25/26).

No matter, at the time of writing there has not been any response in respect of a Deutsche Kriegsmarine claim for the early hours of 26 February, which introduces the possibility that KG964 was lost through a cause other than enemy action.

There was a full moon, and it looks as though the Skaggerak was covered by a fresh, showery, westerly flow - nothing, on the face of it, untoward.

Does anyone have the 224 Squadron ORB that might shed light on the actual weather?

As an aside the forum moderater drew my attention to the Airwar over Denmark website at http://www.flensted.eu.com/1945000.shtml. This covers Allied and German losses over Denmark and surrounding waters for the whole war and could, I think, prove useful to anyone interested in this area.

Brian

PS. Try this story for instance http://www.flensted.eu.com/1944034.shtml and http://www.flensted.eu.com/194121.shtml
    Last edited by Lyffe; 2nd October 2013 at 19:11. Reason: PS added

Thanks

Default Loss of KG964: 25/26-2-1945 No.224 Sqn. Liberator VIII KG964:XB-D

My brothers and I would like to thank you Col for this very detailed information which is very similar to information we had obtained whilst in Milltown, Scotland. Also is anyone able to confirm the following information we have been given that is :

"A message was decoded by Bletchley Park during the day and on the return of the 224 Squadron from their daily flying duties, volunteers were requested to fly a secret mission later that day.
    The message was the leaving of a U-Boat and three sister boats, carrying supplies, in the Skagerrak."

We are also seeking copies of the pages that you recommend from "'Making For Sweden...' Part 1- The RAF 1939 to 1945.Wegmann,Rolph & Bo Widfeldt. Walton-on-Thames:Air Research Publications,1997. pp.225-6. In the meantime my brother has just visited the grave of R/195678 F/Sgt (W.Op.[Air]) Joseph Leo GALLIPEAU RCAF in Varberg, Sweden.

I have the ORB for 224 Squadron for February 1945 and the weather forecasts read as:

Milltown 25th Feb 1945 Weather-Operational-Cloudy with showers becoming continuous rain during evening. Vis. good but deteriorating in rain to moderate. Moderate surly wind becoming light SW'ly or calm during evening.
    Milltown 26th Feb 1945 Weather-Operational-Cloudy-with continuous rain at first becoming fine to fair. Vis. good. Moderate to strong W'ly wind gusty.

We will also look at the other web sites recently quoted and will continue our quest but must thank yourself and everyone else for the information that is flowing.

Lynn Buckland

Thanks

New to this forum...I have had trouble finding out the details of my great Uncle Joseph Galipeau, mission until I found this site. He was only one found from this mission. Apparently, the towns people watched from the shore as the Liberator was attacked. I have been to Varberg, Sweden to visit his grave. There are three other Canadians buried next to him from other missions.

Thanks

Hi Lynn,
    It's very nice to hear that your brother visited my great Uncle Joseph Galipeau's grave in Varberg!
    i am so happy to see your post with so much information about that day. My father will be so happy to know what happened, as in spite of my visiting the grave in 1997, we did not have the details of Uncle Joe's mission.
    thank you so much!!

Thanks

Sperrbrecher 22 reported at 22.10 hours that it was attacked by an airplane northeast of Laessoe. The bombs landed 20 meters from the ship. The plane turned away after being shot at.

At 0300 o'clock the German steamer Ginnheim reported that a 'Stirling' was shot Down northeast of Anholt, which is a small Island in Kattegat. Three men badly wounded (not sure if it is from the ships crew or aircraft).

Thanks

I know this is an old thread, but it's worth adding the following:

The 224 Sqn ORB (AIR 27/1389) has the following notation regarding Liberator KG964/D -

"(See Leuchars Form Orange 02"26/Feb/45 reference 0311/26 - aircraft in flames etc.)"

Form Orange LEU/02/26 can be traced to the 547 Sqn ORB (AIR 27/2034). The Form 541 entry for Liberator S on 25-26 February 1945 records:

"At 0311 in position 56 44 N, 12 ?? E observed on port beam, 5 miles distant, flak followed by a fire in the air, obviously an aircraft. This aircraft was later seen to crash in the sea, burning furiously. The flak came from a convoy of 8 - 9 ships".

This ties in with previous posts about an explosion seen by another 224 Sqn aircraft at 03.04 hrs and Carsten's post about the steamship Ginnheim.

It seems flak from ships in a convoy near Anholt Island in the Kattegat shot down Liberator KG964 circa 03.00 - 03.11 hrs.

Cheers

Rod

Thanks

Maybe the case is cold by now but I recently found some more unknown information about KG964 and Gallipeau.

UNKNOWN ACCIDENT
    IN FISHING VILLAGE

I have long since stopped being amazed at all the domino effects in life but certainly it is exciting.
    In the 1990s I researched what was the background of the seven British airmen buried 1945 in the Swedish coastal town of Falkenberg. I also made research concerning four graves in the neighbour town Varberg. Such graves, more than a hundred, are also found all along the Swedish West Coast.
    Some years ago a Canadian couple, Rosemary and Steve Nichol from Smith Falls in Ontario contacted me. They wanted to know about an uncle, Joseph Gallipeau, who crashed outside near the Danish island Anholt 1945 and was buried in Varberg, Sweden.
    I had previously received information from the RAF in London about the mission of the aircraft to lower German submarines with depth bombs and that it was missing, but not much more. The corpse after Joe Gallipeau was reportedly flushed ashore at Varberg, the only one of eleven crewmen found. That information was given to the Nichols as well as a picture of the grave in Varberg. Later they visited Sweden and I guided them to the grave.
    Recently I heard from them again. They had information that people on land had heard some explosion when the aircraft was hit by German navy fire. Did I know about more details? So I got the idea to go to the local library and look in their microfilms over the local newspaper.
    And on February 28 1945 I found a note on what had happened. The trawler VG 173 from fishing village Träslövsläge is mentioned. It was on its way to Anholt to fish. Along the way, three or four nautical miles east or north east of the island, they ended up in an area of ​​wreckage from an aircraft. They looked a long time for survivors but they only found the body after the Canadian.
    The skipper at Vale was Birger Karlsson so I tried to track relatives to him. First I searched for the trawler Vale. I found a site with comments from a relative of the skipper. I searched the name and got I contact with several relatives but no one was familiar with what happened 1945. And, surprisingly, that goes for many people in the local community. One of the relatives finally checked with an old aunt and got the number to Nisse Nilsson, 91.
    I made contact and went there. And listen and be amazed! Nisse was one of the five crewmen on the boat in 1945 !!! He was seventeen at the time and happened to be on board instead of one in the crew who got ill.
    I sent the details that the Nichols wondered about and got the answer that they thought it was amazing! They liked my idea that I would ask Nisse to accompany me to the grave. The Canadians would appreciate getting a picture of him at the headstone, 74 years after he rescued Joe's body.
    The day after I was at the grave with Nisse and his wife Brita and a photo was emailed to Canada.
    This is the bonus in life.

Just two remarks. In reports and discussion Skagerak is often mentioned as the scene for what happened. But there are two seas between Denmark and Sweden – Skagerak and Kattegatt. The boarder is a line between the north tip of Denmark to Gothenburg. North is Skagerak, south is Kattegatt. The Danish island Anholt is situated in Kattegatt.
    To get the new information, go the amazing site by the Dane Anders Straarup. He has collected information of ALL on and around Denmark crashed or emergency landed allied aircraft during 1939-1945! Aircrafts, start points, missions, targets, crews, what happened, cemeteries, photos of headstones, memorials, maps… www.airmen.dk
    If at least one in a crew is buried or saved in Denmark you can search for others in that crew and the aircraft. (As none of the crew in KG964 ended up in Denmark and the aircraft crashed outside Anholt you cannot search this aircraft on Straarups site. BUT, despite of that you find information.
    Click at Clickable map/Cemeteries.
    On that map click on “V” on the Swedish west coast.
    At the end of the text right of the picture, click Joe Gallipeau.
    Details from InsideOttawaValley. (Gallipeau was not washed ashore in Sweden.)
    28 FEB +03 MAR 1945, the notice in the local newspaper about the found and the funeral.
    Pictures of the trawler Vale and its crew.