Thread: Aircrew promotions, leave cycles

Thanks

Default Aircrew promotions, leave cycles

Hello all, i am researching aircrew from Hull who were killed in bomber command during ww2. i am at present looking into some aircrew who all appeared to be on the same station Watton and 82 squadron during 1940. My main question is regards a leave cycle or something similar. i am assuming that aircrew were rostered for ops for a specific no of days then had a number of days off. i also am assuming that after approx 6 wks of duty they would be allowed 1 wk of leave. i think i have read this somewhere but can't find it again, i can't remember if this was for after 1942 for instance.
    I have also read that aircrew aircraftsman etc were all promoted to Sergeants during May 1940, would anyone know the exact date?
    Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Regards

Thanks

Default Re: Aircrew promotions, leave cycles

The information I have suggests that it was agreed that Wireless Operators / Air Gunners and Air Gunners would be promoted to Temporary Sergeant with effect from 27th May 1940, but the order was not promulgated until 27th June 1940. [AMO A.416/1940 of 27 June].

[Source: ROYAL AIR FORCE HISTORICAL SOCIETY - JOURNAL 50]
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Default Re: Aircrew promotions, leave cycles

Thank you Pete for the information, much appreciated.
    Rgds