Thread: K4029293, Sgt. E.F.G. Elliot, R.A.F.

Thanks

Default K4029293, Sgt. E.F.G. Elliot, R.A.F.

Hi All,

The above airman has a letter 'K' preceding his service number, could someone please explain the reason for this?

Regards
    Peter.

Thanks

Peter, Hi,
    There is one way this Service Number could have arisen.
    Your E F G Elliott enlists in the number block 4017000-4202563 (Regular Enlistments - non ATC) between Dec 46 and Jun 58. If he was still in the RAF at Apr 64 then his Service Number would have had a computer check letter added to it (NCO/OR check letter at the front, Officers at the end) thus the appearance of the letter K. This theory, however, requires that whatever the reference was to Sgt Elliot it should have been after Apr 64.
    The above information comes from Wg Cdr Jim Routledge's excellent article in the Orders and Medals Research Society, Miscellany of Honours, 1992, No 9. The lists of RAF Service Numbers have been copied to the "Useful Books & Research Material" section of this Forum.
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    This theory, however, requires that whatever the reference was to Sgt Elliot it should have been after Apr 64.

Peter Davies
    Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your reply to my question, it seems that you could be quite right regarding Sgt Elliots time of service, the original question, asked by a fellow researcher who suspects his service to be post war is as follows

"Would I be right in saying that the following Airman would have enlisted after WW2, and is there a reason for the letter "K" infront of the service number?"

If its ok with you I'll pass on this info with the appropriate credit.

Once again many thanks.

Regards
    Peter.

Thanks

Peter,
    By all means - be my guest (and of Jim Routledge and this Forum)
    Rgds
    Peter Davies