Thread: Theft Of Raf Records

Thanks

Default Theft Of Raf Records

It is reported by the M. o. D. this morning (UK) that THOUSANDS of computerised records of former and current RAF personnel have been STOLEN from a "secure area" at the records office at RAF Innsworth, Gloucestershire on Wednesday. This is of course the place you write to if you want your's, a family member's, or someone you are researching's, RAF record.
    No doubt this will impact on the quality and time scale if you are waiting for a record from there, whilst they conduct the inevitable inquiry.
    This follows on from all the other loss/stolen records that the Government and its various Departments seem to loose/have stolen on a regular basis.
    Yesterday (UK) of course was the day when the Home Secretary officially released the new UK identity scheme and assured us of their competence, and that our data was safe in their hands!!!
    Stewart

Thanks

I think Stewart the records to which you refer are now at Cranwell, and are still in paper format.

Brian

Thanks

Default Records?

Let us hope so Brian, it was difficult enough getting hold of the data anyway. If they've been lost/stolen, it'll now be b***** impossible!
    Regards
    Max

Thanks

I think that you will find the WW2 and immediate postwar records will be fine. The penny pinching approach by the MOD and their failure to do something meaningful about archiving the aforementioned paperwork has probably served ex service personnel, families and students of military history, well (on this occasion). Still pretty cr*p situation though!

Thanks

Default Theft of RAF records

Slightly off topic as not theft but concerns RAF Cranwell & the address may be useful for a next of kin seeking records.
    I wrote to:
    RAF Disclosures
    Room 221B Trenchard Hall
    Royal Air Force Cranwell
    Sleaford
    NG34 8 HB

[In Linconshire]

I was trying to find next of kin of a married 39 yr old RAF rear gunner whose 466 Sqdn RAAF Lancaster was shot down over Denmark 1943 & a commemoration service was being held 4th September. I wrote to RAF Cranwell in mid August & received a reply 22nd September to the effect that I must get next of kin's permission before service records would be released !! "Find a Certificate of Kinship enclosed " which it wasn't. I rang the phone number given & the pleasant lady, who had written the letter, replied immediately !! No music ,recorded message or pressing 1 ,2 & 3. Was I lucky or are they so approachable normally ?

As I wanted to find the next of kin to inform him/her of the commemoration the consent form was obviously of no use but information will not be given out unless one has N of K permission.Understandable ,I think & too late for the commemoration anyway but slightly frustrating, although N of K, a wife, if in the service records would be unlikely to be at the same address as in 1940s or still alive.
    Anne

Thanks

On the other hand, the possessors of this data might charge less than the RAF/Mod to disclose it! Could be good for a giggle!
    Yrs Aye
    Peter Davies

Thanks

As a serviceman who relies on this, mostly civil service manned, organisation to keep my records safe, I really would like to give them a piece of my mind. First my wife's Navy records from a laptop in Birmingham and now mine! As this Forum is a polite fraternity, I will not use the words that initially spring to mind.........