Thread: Wing Officer Lillian Marguerite Crowther

Thanks

Default Wing Officer Lillian Marguerite Crowther

In July 1941 the RAF loaned six WAAF officers to the RCAF to assist in the formation of what became the Women's Division of that force. One of these was Wing Officer Lillian Marguerite CROWDER, who was awarded the OBE, 1 January 1943 - probably for her work in Canada. It would be too much to hope that the recommendation for her OBE might have been copied from recommendations for the 1943 New Years Honors List. However, may I hope that an expert on this forum can offer biographical information (or leads) on this officer ?

Thanks

Default Re: Wing Officer Lillian Marguerite Crowther

Hugh,
    Lillian Marguerite Crowther

appt. 28 Jun 1939 (Sen 18 Oct 38) Coy Cdr L. M. Crowther (139)
    award 1 Jan 1941 MiD (A/???) Sqn Off L M Crowther (139)
    prom 1 Dec 1941 Flt Off to Sqn Off L. M. Crowther (139)
    award 1 Jan 1943 OBE (A/????) Wg Off Lillian Marguerite Crowther (139)
    prom 1 Apr 1943 Sqn Off to Wg Off L. M. Crowther (139)
    prom 1 Oct 1943 Wg Off to Grp Off L. M. Crowther, OBE (139)
    m. Q2 1948 Crowther, Lillian M(arguerite???), m.(Anthony) Thomas, Pontypridd 8b 1000. (not sure about this!!)
    rel. 10 Feb 1954 Grp Off L. M. Crowther, OBE, (139) retaining her rank (still using Maiden Name in WRAF?).

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 15th May 2022 at 15:59.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello All,
    I am about to show my total ignorance to all you experts – for which I apologise!!
    I have, in the past few days and when waiting for some domestic task to start/finish, been searching the ‘net for information appertaining to Gp Off Lillian Marguerite Crowther (as a result of Hugh’s request). It has not been very successful!!
    My question is: did all the WAAFs wear the brass “A” of the Auxiliary Air Force until they became the WRAF?
    Sorry!
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi,

Lilian Marguerite Crowther Born: 8 Jun 1893 Simla, India Died: 1971 Hampshire

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~hasla...131.htm#source

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/i...ject/205451492

GROUP OFFICER K.M. CROWTHER, O.B.E. (not L.M.!)

Original wartime caption: Group Officer L.M. Crowther, was awarded the O.B.E. in 1943 for her services in organising the W.A.A.F. and particularly for her help in forming the R.C.A.F. Women's Division. During June 1941, whe went to Canada in an advisory capacity and stayed there until the R.C.A.F. Women's Division has been started. In the last war, Group Officer Crowther served in the Women�s Legion, and was later private secretary to the Bishop of Leicester. In 1938 she formed the 41st R.A.F. Company of the A.T.S. This was afterwards incorporated in the newly-formed W.A.A.F. Since December 1942, she has been W.A.A.F. advisory officer to the Officer Commanding- in-Chief, Bomber Command. Picture (issued 1944) shows - Portrait study of Group Officer L.M. Crowther, O.B.E.

https://www.topfoto.co.uk/asset/1386380/

Regards

Mojmir
    Last edited by vrajm; 16th May 2022 at 18:24.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Hello All,
    I am about to show my total ignorance to all you experts – for which I apologise!!
    I have, in the past few days and when waiting for some domestic task to start/finish, been searching the ‘net for information appertaining to Gp Off Lillian Marguerite Crowther (as a result of Hugh’s request). It has not been very successful!!
    My question is: did all the WAAFs wear the brass “A” of the Auxiliary Air Force until they became the WRAF?
    Sorry!
    Peter Davies
    Hi Peter
    From - http://www.wadhamsfamilyhistory.co.u...AAFuniform.htm

WAAF officers wore a pair of ⅜" gilt-metal 'A' badges on the upper lapels of their tunic throughout the war to denote their auxiliary status. Similarly, NCOs/ORs wore an embroidered 'A' badge (white embroidery on a square black felt background) on their upper arms just below their RAF eagle shoulder insignia (see photo in Hosiery section below). This practice was officially discontinued after January 1942, but WAAFs who had enlisted prior to that were permitted to continue wearing their auxiliary insignia
    Whether any WAAF officers did indeed continue to wear the 'A' badges I do not know as I think RAF officers were 'strongly encouraged' to remove them.

rgds baz
    Last edited by bvs; 16th May 2022 at 19:12.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bvs For This Useful Post:

Resmoroh (18th May 2022)