Thread: No. 4 AOS Crumlin/London, Ontario

Gaudet Guest

Default No. 4 AOS Crumlin/London, Ontario

Greetings folks.... it's been a while since my last post, I'm still alive and kick, just been posting (if necessary) as my alias. Through my research of RCAF No. 2 ANS/RAF No. 34 OTU Pennfield Ridge NB, I have come across a wonderful photo of Class 8 at No. 4 AOS Crumlin amongst a lot of photos I just received.

I was wondering if someone is currently researching the history of No. 4 AOS?

Thanks

Hi Jason;

I'm interested in all old BCATP sites, but this one hold a special interest, since I currently live a 20 minute drive from the old RCAF Station Crumlin, today London International Airport (our London, not theirs). The only Second World War buildings still standing are a few office blocks, one of which is the local Legion, and several of the old Fleet Aircraft / Central Aircraft factory buildings, today home to Diamond Aircraft. A few of the post war PMQs still exist, near the local Reserve facility just west of the airport, CFB London. Those of us who have lived in PMQs can spot them a mile away, despite all the rebuilding and modernization. By the way, there are still a couple of Army buildings at CFB London that date back to the late 1800s - including the horse barn.

Let me know if you have any questions, or would like any photos.

Thanks

There are a couple of good sites for information on No.4 OAS, one for Course 39 here: http://www.piloninternational.ca/international/archives/course39/course39.html#1
    and Bombercrew.com has some pictures as well. http://bombercrew.com/BCATP.htm
    Dave Wallace

Thanks

Hi Gaudet,

I have an interest in No 4 AOS London/Ontario is as far that Flt/Sgt William "Bill" G. O'Neill RNZAF, the observer of the 13 Sqdn Blenheim that is the focus of my research, trained there from 23.01.1941 till 12.04.1941. I have a photo of Bill and classmates at the start of their training (white flash in their sidecaps and no Sgt stripes nor observer brevets )with their names and "Course 16 Class 5" but no indication of date or school. After No 4 AOS he went to No 4 BGS at Fingal, Ontario so that photo might have been taken there as well.

To complete the story, after the course at No 4 BGS Bill then passed to No 1 ANS at Rivers Manitoba to finish his training.

The photo you are referring to isn't dated by any chance or has the subjects names on it?

Cheers,

Walter

Thanks

Walter,

"trained there from 23.01.1941 till 12.04.1941"

From my 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Three: Biographies & Appendices)'
    O'NEILL, Flight Sergeant William George.
    NZ404496; b Dargaville 20 May 21; Taihape DHS & Kaikohe DHS; shop assistant - W Hyland, Dargaville. NZ Army/TF 1yr; RNZAF Levin/GTS as Air Observer u/t 24 Nov 40, emb for Canada 6 Jan 41, att RCAF 23 Jan 41, 4AOS c.26 Jan 41, 4BGS 13 Apr 41, Air Observers Badge & Sgt & 1ANS 26 May 41, 1 M Depôt 30 Jun 41, att RAF & emb for UK c.6 Jul 41, 3PRC 29 Jul 41, 42OTU (Blenheim) 3 Aug 41, 13 Sqn (Blenheim - 2 ops) 13 Oct 41, kao 26 Jun 42. Schoonselhof Cemetery - II.H.16, Antwerp, Belgium. Son of Edward & Emily O'Neill (née Moore), Mt Eden, Auckland.

Note that 23 Jan 41 is actually the date he disembarked from the 'Empress of Russia' at Vancouver. The rail journey from there to London, Ontario, would have taken about three more days.

Errol

Thanks

Thanks for that Errol - you may recall we corresponded briefly per e-mail a few months ago. I do have a copy of Bill's service record and which contains the information you used in your book. I am always on the lookout for anything new though!

Cheers,
    Walter

Gaudet Guest

Hi Bill... send me an email to pr34otu@nb.sympatico.ca and I will send back a high res scan of the class photo with a scan of the back (which indexes names).