Thread: RAF Service files.

Thanks

Default RAF Service files.

Hello. Just wondering if an operations list would be in a pilots service file. I have many RAF pilots that flew in 6 Group without any second dickie trips.

Thanks, Richard

Thanks

Default Re: RAF Service files.

Hi Richard, from my own experience I can say that in the basic RAF Service Record - two big sheets of paper for the NCO + other two sheets for the officer theare are only movements, promotions, trades, etc. but nothing about operations etc.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thanks Pavel for the info. Some of the Canadian files contain a list if they applied for campaign medals.
    Richard

Thanks

Hi Richard,

Your post made me wonder if second dickie trips were always conducted? My Dad flew as a Bomb Aimer with 77 Sqn and when I go back through the ORBs my Dad’s RCAF pilot arrived on Sqn (same days as my Dad) 23 Aug 44 and their first Op was 31 Aug 44.

I can’t see any second dickie trip for my Dad’s pilot between those dates.

We’re these trips the norm, or used by exception if check flights indicated the pilot needed extra air work?

Mike
    Last edited by anglin.mj; 19th June 2022 at 18:10.
    Mike Anglin

Barrie, Canada

Thanks

Hi Mike: my understanding is your dad’s pilot would have been on a 2nd Dickie trip prior to operating with his own crew as 1st pilot. Unless….he was on a 2nd tour and things may have been different. Check the battle order in the ORB’s. Should be there…although as Richard alludes…not always!

Edit: Sorry, I see you have already checked the ORB!

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 19th June 2022 at 23:37.

Thanks

If he has been omitted, you need the pilots log to verify. I have a 100 or so pilots from 6 Group that are not noted as flying as a 2nd dickie, when I know he has done one or two. On some I have their date, hours, but nothing in the ORB or battle orders. the log is the only way to verify.
    Hope this helps.
    Richard

Thanks

As I've been working on our database of all 630 Squadron aircrew (and all Ops flown by the squadron) I noted a number of pilots who apparently did not fly a Second Dickie however as I've gone line by line through every 630 Squadron logbook that I've managed to get sight of (117 so far) I have found quite a few who actually did complete Second Dickies but were not noted in F540/541's. In the case of pilots who were later awarded decorations I found the lists of Ops which accompanied many of the awards (AIR 2) that others are verified as having done Second Dickies as well. I've never seen a list of Ops flown in an RAF/RAFVR service record and have seen 80+

cheers
    Pete
    https://630squadron.wordpress.com/

Thanks

Thanks Pete. I am going to make a list of RAF pilots that received a gong.
    Regards, Richard