Thread: Ferry people from Gibraltar to U.K. in srring 1943

Thanks

Default Ferry people from Gibraltar to U.K. in srring 1943

Hi,

Which units are likely to ferry people from Gibraltar to U.K. (for example Portreath), in my case airmen who had successfully evaded from occupied France, in May 1943 ? I'd like to check these units ORBs to see if they mention the passengers during these flights.

TIA

Bertrand

Thanks

Hi Bertrand
    The unit that springs to mind most readily is OADU, the Overseas Aircraft Delivery Unit,
    although most of their traffic was outbound from the UK I don't think it was entirely one way. Then there was 511 Sqn,which I believe began as 1425 Flt at Lyneham but eventually operated Liberators, Halifaxes, Yorks and Dakotas in the transport role with many flights via Gibraltar. There were many Sqns based at Gibraltar for varying periods and the longer range Maritime Sqns like 210,220, 224 and 269(there were others but these are the Maritime Sqns I'm sure of) are likely to have rotated a/c and crews back to the UK and taken extras as passengers on an opportunity basis. Don't neglect the ORB'S for AHQ Gibraltar and the 2 a/c bases, the main airfield, known then as RAF North Front, and the Flying Boat base known as RAF New Camp.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

271 Squadron flew passenger carrying sorties between the UK and Gibraltar.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Bertrant,

KLM/BOAC carried passengers, including airmen that had evaded, from Lisbon to Whitchurch. A unique service used by both Allies and Germans to exchange at least newspapers, and possibly hotter espionage stuff too. Lisbon was one of the usual stops on the long landroute through southern Europe to freedom. Transport to Gibraltar by ship for most, but some were lucky if KLM/BOAC had seats available.

Rob

Thanks

Many thanks Dick, Brian and Rob for all these possibilities. I will have many checks to do in Kew !

Bertrand