Thread: 2nd Dickie Trips

Thanks

Default 2nd Dickie Trips

Iím looking for documents that might provide insight into guidelines for 2nd Dickie Trips. Specifically for how much of the flight would 2nd pilot have been at the controls. Dad recalled being at the controls on his 2nd Dickie trip when the a/c left the target area. Dad said there was nowhere for the 2nd pilot to sit and they would occupy a position behind the pilotís seat.

I canít imagine dad giving up the control of the a/c for any length of time. He carried a 2nd pilot on the 10 hour and 15 minute trip to Chemnitz. Thatís a lot of time standing!

Jim

Thanks

Default Re: 2nd Dickie Trips

Jim

I suppose it would depend on the type of aircraft being flown. The Stirling had two seats in the cockpit.

Thanks

Jim,

From what I have read most only got a few hours on the way back, especially as the war went on when the Germans could put much up against the bombers.
    Cheers,
    John.

Thanks

John and Letter Writer: thank you. LW: in my fatherís case, his trips were all in Lancasters and I remember him saying the 2nd pilot stood behind the pilot. John: your thoughts are the same as what I understood to have been the circumstances. I suspect this experience varied considerably between 2nd Dickie trips.

Jim