Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sgt. William C. Aney (American in the RCAF)

Thanks

Default Re: Sgt. William C. Aney (American in the RCAF)

Hello/Bonjour Simon,

Aney was originally from Buffalo, New York State. He first joined the army (Artillery) in December 1941 and then, while in England, joined the Royal Canadian Air Force and returned to Canada for training. Since New York State is close to Canada, I assume that he enlisted in a city (...via the Clayton Knight committee?) close to the border, as I do not have yet this information.

About his sending or not to England after the S.F.T.S., perhaps a beginning of answer in this newspaper's excerpt?

Buffalo Evening News December 17, 1943
    Sgt. William Aney is one of more than two score RCAF and RAF men recently transferred to the United States Army Air Force in England. Sgt. Aney previously transferred to the RCAF in December 1941 after arriving in England with the Canadian Army that month. He returned to Canada to train as a pilot and was sent back to England last May.

So, Aney is in England in May 1943. Right?

By the way, "bvs", thank you for all these explanations and excerpts about the NCO pilots.

Best regards,
    Frederic

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Henofred For This Useful Post:

wwrsimon (27th June 2022)

Thanks

Frederic,

From his USAAF service number, 10601561, Aney enlisted at the 12th Replacement Depot, Chorley, Lancs on 2 December 1943.

From the ORBs of other RAF/RCAF squadrons with US personnel on them, you'll see, for example, two RCAF F/Sgts leave the station on one day and return two days later as 8th Air Force Technical Sgts to finish their tours.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Is Aney RCAF service number known ?

Thanks

Thank you Dave for that additional information, and unfortunately no, Paul, I don't have his service number while he was with the RCAF - I am also looking for...

Best regards,
    Frederic