Thread: Special Duties Flight 71 Wing 1941/42

Thanks

Default Special Duties Flight 71 Wing 1941/42

As wireless operator my late father was paired with pilot J.Hankins initially from July 1941 to October as a private crew for ACM Sir W.Mitchell later flying as Station Flight (Abbotsinch) before it became 1680 Flight. In his log books my father lists many VIP names and thank to Ian Brown linked those with Sir Mitchell to 72 (Signals) Wing. My delema starts after that period as in my fathers log book the monthly entries are signed out as Station Flight but in Hankins Log book it states that from October 1941 to July 1942 they flew as Special Duties Flight for 71 Wing. I have a copy of ORB AIR 26/100 but this is form 540 giving overall information, not specific named meetings etc. Does anyone know as to where I might obtain more detailed information that I could link the names to?

Many thanks, Fred

Thanks

Default Re: Special Duties Flight 71 Wing 1941/42

Fred,

As with your previous enquiry, if you send me details of the names (or post here) I may be able to help identify them. As with No 72 Wing, the records for individual stations were mostly not preserved, so the records you seek do not exist.

Thanks

Default Re: Special Duties Flight 71 Wing 1941/42

Hi Ian, many thanks for your help. As the flights were daily the list of names is quite large so I will e-mail direct.

Fred