Thread: Letting Google do the work for you on your images....

Thanks

Default Letting Google do the work for you on your images....

I made a startling discovery this month. Not sure if others knew about this ...

Last month I splurged on a cloud back up solution and went with a Google Drive subscription. So took me a couple of days to back up my data

A few days ago I had to end up on my drive site trying to look up a document. I was trying to locate a document by a file name - with the name of the pilot in it.. but I was startled to see that Google returned image files, ORB files etc wherever the name was mentioned. It also retrieved images of a logbook page where the name of the pilot was handwritten on even though the logbook page image had a random file name on it. It retrieved images of an ORB page photographed by a researcher just because the name existed in the page. Even where the name is handwritten instead of being typed.

Then I tried searching a few serials , locations and numbers.. and it worked pretty well... If i searched "J E H Smith" it showed me ORB pages where it was typed as "J. E. H. Smith" etc...

So if you have been struggling to catalogue images, and the information within the images , pdf documents and trying to search your hoard, maybe Google Cloud is a good way to go.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jagan For This Useful Post:

anglin.mj (29th June 2022),Luc Vervoort (29th June 2022),paulmcmillan (29th June 2022)

Thanks

Default Re: Letting Google do the work for you on your images....

This does sound interesting. I am not clear if this was via a standard Google Search or something different because you were using Google Drive? Was the ORB file one of yours in your Google Drive collection or a file on the internet pulled out by the search.

I have been looking to buy extra Google Drive storage but the low upload speed of my, once, "superfast" broadband would take about a month if running constantly. Fibre has been promised for over 10 years now and the!

On a related point, a Google Lens search for image similar to the one you select online is quite good but does produce odd results sometimes.

Thanks

The Google Drive search is not the regular search. The search is executed from drive.google.com

Was the ORB file one of yours in your Google Drive collection
    Yes it is from my hard drive that was backed up to google drive . I had collected some misc units from AIR29 and these are photos of pages.. thus not publicly available.

You are right about the low upload speed. I think it took a week or more for my data of 1 TB or so to be backed up. its not the size of the data, but the number of individual files that slows up the upload as well.

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification. It sounds very useful and something I will consider as I have a few thousand folders each containing hundreds of documents of varying sizes. I have many duplicate files as one photo may be relevant to half a dozen different folders and tagging all my documents would have taken years and liable to miss relevant tags. With 2.5Tb to upload I will wait for "supadoopafast" fibre, as super fast is old news now :)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PNK For This Useful Post:

Jagan (29th June 2022)