Thread: German War Graves Commission

Thanks

Default German War Graves Commission

I just wondered if anyone else has had any experience of the German War Graves Commission. I wrote to them last year with a question, but got no reply. I don't see this as unreasonable as they may be very busy. However, I'm now inundated with request for donations from them. Is there anyone there who can answer researchers questions or do we all just get put on the mailing list?

Thanks

Default Volksbund

Hi Gary !

Never tried to write them - you can find some basic information on their website. Some additional information can be obtained when you visit the cemetery in question. If you have have questions about Luftwaffe-personnel buried at Lommel, Belgium, I can always try to obtain this information for you. Please feel free to ask.
    They are,however, rather restricted to supply information, as they have to meet the requirements of the German privacy-laws.

Best regards from Belgium.

Luc

Thanks

Thanks Luc for the offer, but my story relates to an English burial. The information I'm trying to find relates to a member of Luftwaffe ground crew who was snuck aboard a mission to England. However, the aircraft was shot down and all crew killed. Because the Luftwaffe didn't know he was on the aircraft he was posted as a deserter. His body was discovered in the 60's at the crash site at Scampton. I just wanted to know what details they had on the discovery and whether he is buried with his crew mates at Scampton, he is certainly commemorated on a stone there.

Thanks

Gary

Thanks

Hi Gary
    I don't if this helps but I have a list of non-commonwealth airmen for whom CWGC accept responsibility. In Scampton there are 8 Luftwaffe graves in the War Graves plot.
    Helmut Wimmeder Grave1
    Johnnes Dietrich Grave 2
    Kurt Hanning Grave3
    Wilhelm August Christian Hansen Grave4
    These all died on May 12 1940
    Alfred Altenkirch Grave5
    Werner Nollau Grave 6
    Heinrich Conze Grave7
    Rudolf Scherer Grave 8
    These all died on Mar 4 1945
    The List doesn't give rank but it does have ages and Service Numbers. The fact of 8 burials does suggest complete crews of 2 HE111s. It could be that a body recovered long after the war was taken to Cannock or Cannock Chase for burial and my list does include those but I would need a name to narrow the search
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Sorry Gary but I misread a date .The 1st 4 were killed in 1941 not 1940
    Apologies
    Dick