Thread: RCAF Observers

Thanks

Default RCAF Observers

Hi all,

I would like to ask mainly our Canadian friends if they could help me with some more information about following Air Observers who sailed in Dec 1940 from Canada to UK to flew with the RAF. I have only following brief information on them:

F/O U. L. BEZAIRE (J????)
    Born at River Canard, Ontario.

P/O W. H. CLEAVER (J?????)
    Born in Toronto, Ontario.

P/O A. MCKENZIE (J????)
    Born in Edmonton. Returned to Canada in October 1941 as instructor.

P/O T. CARTER (J????)
    Born at St. Thomas, Ontario.

F/O James Garvie PIDDUCK (J????)
    Born at Montreal, Injured – seriously ill as a result of flying accident and repatriated December, 1941. Instructor.

F/O J. R. GILMORE (J????)
    Born at Rock Island, Quebec

F/S Niel J. Leishman, (R????)
    Born at Brantford, Ontario, Later commissioned P/O

Any further information which could help me with my research much appreciated.

Pavel

Thanks

Default Pedro

F/O Bezaire became owner of Malden Tree Farms in Ontario, Canada after the war. 4 children, born in 1918 and died in 1976. Knowledge of his service overseas is desired by his family. Overseas in 1941 and returned to Canada in 1941 with an injury. Instructed for the duration of the war. More information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pedro, can you confirm his full name for us? Is he deceased and if so, how many years is it since he died?
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Pedro

Quote Originally Posted by dennis_burke View Post
    Pedro, can you confirm his full name for us? Is he deceased and if so, how many years is it since he died?
    U.J. ("Bill") Bezaire...............Ulysse Joseph Bezaire, nickname Bill, died in 1976..............36 yrs. by my calculation.
    The mystery shared by his surviving family is that they have no information about his service overseas nor his remaining years in the RCAF in Canada. He returned from overseas in 1941 but perhaps instructed in Canada.

Thanks

Hi pedro,

Have you requested his service file from the Canadian national archives? It will list all his postings and mainy other useful bits of information. I'd suggest going for the paid service it might speed things up.
    http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/022/022-909.007-e.html

If/when you do get it, please let us know what it said and we can help you with any queries you have.

using http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/canada-gazette/index-e.html
    Many of the names on the ship can be found on a page of the Canada Gazette:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/canada-gazette/093/001060-119.01-e.php?image_id_nbr=324893&document_id_nbr=8520&f=p &PHPSESSID=btuhi0mrfgh1qe2lfgajiujhf5

Not sure that link will work.

Search for Pidduck

U L Bezaire officer service number is J2829

Pity the scanning of the CG is so poor, some one needed to up the resolution that day!!
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Pedro

Quote Originally Posted by dennis_burke View Post
    Hi pedro,

Have you requested his service file from the Canadian national archives? It will list all his postings and mainy other useful bits of information. I'd suggest going for the paid service it might speed things up.
    http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/022/022-909.007-e.html

If/when you do get it, please let us know what it said and we can help you with any queries you have.

using http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/canada-gazette/index-e.html
    Many of the names on the ship can be found on a page of the Canada Gazette:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/canada-gazette/093/001060-119.01-e.php?image_id_nbr=324893&document_id_nbr=8520&f=p &PHPSESSID=btuhi0mrfgh1qe2lfgajiujhf5

Not sure that link will work.

Search for Pidduck

U L Bezaire officer service number is J2829

Pity the scanning of the CG is so poor, some one needed to up the resolution that day!!
    Thank you for that. I cannot get into Bill's Service Records; in Canada, only immediate family members can do so at the moment. I'm passing these things on to the family.

Thanks

Pedro
    please read the links I sent to you:

•There are no restrictions on access to information relating to an individual who has been deceased for more than 20 years. Proof of death is required.

And please, there is no need to always quote back the message you are replying to, the moderator has a sticky note to this effect on the fron page of the forum, if possible could you edit your last message and remove the quoted text, I know exactly what your replying too, I'm the last person who posted.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Pedro

I prefer to acquire as much information as I can and to present it to a family member, a dscendant of U.J. (Bill) Bezaire. I am not by any means a researcher. I have forwarded the Canadian Archives information to them and feel that it is thier perogative to obtain service documents even though I could, since they asked my advice and help with the search. Should they obtain the documents I certainly would attempt to copies them to you.

I apologize for the quotes; I am less than a "Junior" in relation to the computer and didn't know about virtual sticky notes.

When I left the service there were three typists in the typist pool, a message centre fully manned and I didn't even use a typewriter. I flew helicopters and was the paymaster.

Thanks

As an FYI, the present waiting time for service files is about 6 months if you opt the LAC route. A researcher can do it for much less than that. Even the files where there is no proof of death over 20 years can be accessed. Those will contain any non-personal information, including photographs as they are deemed archival.

Danny
    Remembering Gunner Robert Béland (1919-2012), 5th L.A.A., R.C.A., Canadian Army, WWII