Thread: Flt Lt George Beurling DSO DFC DFM & Bar

Thanks

Default Flt Lt George Beurling DSO DFC DFM & Bar

This extraordinary pilot was mentioned in another thread.

A May 1943 news cable recorded: "The first fighting man to be given four decorations at once at a Royal Investiture, Flying Officer George Beurling received the DSO,DFC and DFM and Bar from the King at a recent ceremony in Buckingham Palace...."

The DFM and Bar surprised me because the first one would usually trigger a commission. I now find that he was offered a commission after training but declined. He chose to remain a sergeant until he was finally ORDERED to take a commisssion

George shot down many German and Italian aircraft and it was rare for the victims to have a chance to bail out because his accuracy was lethal.

He was a rebel and unpopular with his superior officers and only 27 when killed in the accident in 1948.
    Last edited by Jack Powers; 30th September 2008 at 06:06.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Powers View Post
    This extraordinary pilot was mentioned in another thread.

A May 1943 news cable recorded: "The first fighting man to be given four decorations at once at a Royal Investiture, Flying Officer George Beurling received the DSO,DFC and DFM and Bar from the King at a recent ceremony in Buckingham Palace...."

The DFM and Bar surprised me because the first one would usually trigger a commission. I now find that he was offered a commission after training but declined. He chose to remain a sergeant until he was finally ORDERED to take a commisssion

George shot down many German and Italian aircraft and it was rare for the victims to have a chance to bail out because his accuracy was lethal.

He was a rebel and unpopular with his superior officers and only 27 when killed in the accident in 1948.
    If you are interested in more information about this extraordinary brave young man you will be rewarded with 40 pages in the first item of a Google search.