Thread: Sqn/Ldr Gordon-Finlayson, 211 Squadron

Thanks

Default Sqn/Ldr Gordon-Finlayson, 211 Squadron

I've just been having a mooch around Ebay for 100 Squadron-related items, and came across this newspaper cutting of the above-named officer, which might be of interest to anyone researching 211 Squadron: -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233271545...cAAOSwS91dFHCv

All the best,

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Default Sqn/Ldr Gordon-Finlayson DSO DFC, 211 Squadron

Interesting find, Greg.

That's the image of GF ("The Bish"), as taken on triumphant return from Corfu, after the single-engine, wheels-up forced-landing of L8511 on the beach there, after flak damage over Durazzo (now Durres) in Albania on 24 Nov 1940. The Greeks feted GF and his crew (P/O G Davies, P/O A Geary) all the way back to Athens, the story recounted with gusto in a number of accounts of the Greek air campaign. The 211s were immmensely pleased to have them back: their CO was well-respected for his leadership and ability, in command from Sep 40 to Mar 1941.

Form 541 24 Nov
    "First reported missing later forced [sic] at Corfu where they had force-landed with u/c up due to hydraulic gear being rendered u/s when a/c was hit twice with AA shells."

Among others, this image also appeared in Parade Middle East Weekly (Vol 2 No 17, 7 Dec 1940) and is shown as part of my bio for GF here:
    http://www.211squadron.org/jr_gordon-finlayson.html
    There was later a double-page spread on the Squadron, Across the Styx in Parade (Mar 41), by TH Tommy Wisdom and profusely illustrated (likely by H Hennser), later a chapter of Wisdom's Wings Over Olympus

That's a good half-tone print, though missing it's press origin, sadly. Some date not long after 25 March 41, the date of his DSO gazettal.

Thanks for the notice.
    Don
    www.211squadron.org
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Default Re: Sqn/Ldr Gordon-Finlayson DSO DFC, 211 Squadron

Glad it was of use Don. Apologies, knowing of your interest in 211 Squadron, I should have sent that straight on to you as well as posting in the group!!

All the best,

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Thanks for thinking of me, Greg. Nothing to apologise for: such fragments may always be of wider interest.

On gathering such images via eBay, I generally have strong reservations, esp if a bidding contest is on offer.
    Here, the Seller has a v large collection of cuttings, in several areas, and offered as BIN at prices in reach.
    Mostly from Edwardian to WW2 vintage, most are girls on engagement or couples at marriage.
    Some few are of officer decorations, as in GFs case (though the image is from the previous year, well before the DSO).
    All original cuttings, v rarely with date, almost never with newspaper/journal title.

Not to make too much of that but, like image copies and text quotes, for cuttings a full source always helps, as it dates the event and points to a possible place to look for related info.

Of the GF cutting itself, as it was a BIN at a bearable price, although I have the image from other appearances I've bought it, to scan it for own use (and with the notion of sending it as a surprise to a long standing friend in County Durham (also the location of the seller)).
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Thanks Don. And agreed on the issue with the lack of date, it's very frustrating when they come up for sale without the source publication and date.

All the best as alwys,

Greg

Greg Harrison