Thread: 45 Sqn

Thanks

Default 45 Sqn

Hi All,

Does anyone have a copy of The Flying Camels : The History Of No. 45 Sqn. RAF by C.G Jefford that they could look in and see if there is any mention of F/Lt A.C.H Haines please?

He was killed on 16/5/41 in the Tobruk area after completing 48 raids and 27 fighter patrols whilst with 45 Sqn.

I am trying to put together as much information as I can for a relative of his.

Regards,
    Simon

Thanks

Simon,

According to an appendix in the book, Haines served with the squadron from 12 Sep 40 to 16 May 41. This period is covered in 19 pages of text (pp141-159). Unfortunately there is no index and I do not have the time to review the pages for mentions of Haines, though I do note that in recording Haine's death (on V5817 with WOpAG Sgt Stan Cordy) Jefford says he 'had already flown the remarkable total of forty-eight bomber sorties and twenty-seven fighter patrols - many, but not all, of them with No 45 Sqn.'

Errol

Thanks

Errol,

Thanks for that information. I will pass this on to his relative.

Regards,
    Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon

the following is taken from our Book RAF Bomber losses in the Middle East and Mediterranean. I have added the claim made by Wolfgang Redlich, taken from the O.K.L. Fighter Claims entry for this day.

Took off 1620, Fuka Main (LG 17), Egypt. Two fighter Blenheims sent to attack axis motor transport on the Sollum - Bardia road. Attacked by three Bf 109 fighters and last seen heading in a north-westerly direction towards the sea in the Gambut area. Believe shot down over the Mediterranean. Almost certainly shot down by Oblt. Wolfgang Redlich of 1./JG 27 who claimed to have shot down a Blenheim at Tobruk at 16.55 hours. Both crew members are commemorated on the Alamein Memorial, Egypt.

Pel

Thanks

Hi Simon
    Ops, a little mistake it is not in our book as it was a Fighter not a Bomber loss
    Sorry.

Pel

Thanks

Default Bomber losses

Pel
    Off topic but do you know when RAF Bomber Losses in the ME & Med. Vol 2 is coming out ?

Anne

Thanks

Default Vol 2 ME Bomber Losses

Hi Anne

We were due to complete Vol 2 this September, but due to circumstances beyond our control David and I have had to put the date back to March of next year before we can complete our work and send it to the publishers. In which case they would be publishing some time after this date. At a guess I would say possibly July of next year but may be later.

Pel

Thanks

So no need to put on my Christmas Wish List for this year ! When Ross can we expect your Vol.2 on Coastal Command Losses ?
    Regards,
    Henk.