Thread: 1412 (Met) Flight in the Sudan

Thanks

Default 1412 (Met) Flight in the Sudan

Hello All,
    1412 (Met) Flt was formed at Heliopolis on 21 Sep 1941 for met recce work in the Khartoum area of Sudan. This was, presumably, for the West Africa > Canal Zone, etc, airframe reinforcement route? It had detachments at Summit (GE 18.750680 36.839198), Ca(r)thargo (GE 18.783178 36.966644) and Wadi Seidna (GE 15.816613 32.515124) (all from RAFWEB - tks).
    I can’t “see” anything at Summit? I can “see” a strip at Ca(r)thargo. I do not know what purpose(s) the dets at Summit and Ca(r)thargo might have served? But I am most interested in the small airfield at Wadi Seidna.
    On 10 Mar 1943 (R/88217) W/O2 Charles Righter Dixon, RCAF (as a single-pilot observer), was taxying a Gladiator when he collided with a fuel dump, and died in the subsequent fire. He is, thus, one of our Met casualties.
    Does anybody know his history, and/or anything more of 1412 (Met) Flight.
    No hurry, but I’m trying to put all the aviation “Met” from WW2 (+/-) on to a s/sheet (there have – you should know - been a significant number of re-designs so far!!!).
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Re: 1412 (Met) Flight in the Sudan

Thanks

The endless variation of English versions of Arabic words.

For some reason, Wadi Seina, Wadi Seidna, Wadi Sayyidna (the airfield on the W bank of the Nile, 22km N of Khartoum) is not shown in Jefford RAF Squadrons Map 37 (Khartoum and Gordon's Tree being on the E bank & "in town", so to speak). Numerous unit mentions in Sturtivant, RAF Flying Training and Support Units and on RAFWeb.org from Aug 1940.

As for Summit, in those far off dusty days, it was a station on the rail line S from Port Sudan though the Red Sea Hills and on South to Kassala.
    From Summit a track headed E through a wide flattish, sandy wadi and up into the Hills. Along this track were three airfields
    Summit (less than 2 miles E of the railway at Summit)
    Wadi Gazouza (about 8 miles E of Summit)
    Erkowit/Carthago* (the only spelling I have) (about 12 miles E of Summit, 6 miles E of Wadi Gazouza)
    Further, in the hills, lay the village of Erkowit (20 miles E of Summit).

The remains of the hangar floors (and some other buildings) of all three airfields are still visible in current digital map satellite views.
    Here is Wadi Gazouza and it's 1940s remains: you can navigate from here to the other sites by panning.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@18.7497.../data=!3m1!1e3

Summit then was so open that aircraft occasionally put down alongside the Station and Rly line.
    In typical RAF fashion, Summit was the main stopping place for goods and personnel coming by train to the airfields.
    Since that time, in this country, much has changed, even in comparison with map views 15 years ago (railway, stations, sidings remain**).

See also my page with this c41 aerial photo of Wadi Gazouza here
    http://www.211squadron.org/the_middl...ml#WadiGazouza
    and map+notes here
    http://www.211squadron.org/maps.html#Sudan

I'll post this now, while noting that the above distances (estimated using https://www.acscdg.com/)
    are at odds with those estimated some years ago on the pages linked (which I've now amended rather than delay until the annual update on 31 Jul).

Postscript, dash it
    *My site has Carthago, as eg Jefford and TNA AIR items usage, not "Cathargo". Finger trouble, above, corrected .

**Oh dear. Failure to cross check.
    The railway from Port Sudan to Kassala and Atbara is reported still in use though accounts of the degree of disrepair vary.
    My apologies for such a basic error.
    Last edited by Don Clark; 13th July 2022 at 05:44. Reason: updated site links/data
    Toujours à propos

Thanks

Don,
    VMT for that. It was precisely the sort of thing I was looking for. I have been aviated by/with/from the RAF in many places - about many of which one mused "What had they been drinking when they chose a camp here?". It is only when one gets the background information that all becomes clear!!!
    I think it was Winston Churchill who would say "Pray tell me on one side of paper . . . . . . . !". You have done just that - thanks. How do I cram that into a s/sheet without making it too cumbersome - LOL??????
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!