Thread: Service Record - Sgt PDV Ager RAFVR

nickager Guest

Default Service Record - Sgt PDV Ager RAFVR

I've done a lot of research into my Uncle's time as Flight Engineer with 434 squadron prior to his loss on 17th June 1944 and I remain in regular contact with one of the surviving crew members of Halifax LW 433.

One area that I would appreciate any assistance members can give me is in interpreting my late Uncle's Service Record.

There are a number of units listed prior to him joining 1664 Conversion Unit, including:

2.R.C., 1 ACRC, 21 ITW, 31 ITW, WSTT, Rootes Securities (one week), 61 RAF Base & Dalton BS.

Any help would be great, especially if anyone can tell me where he would have been based, and where Rootes Securities (presumably a manaufacturer?) was located.

Many Thanks,

Nick

Thanks

Hello Nick

2.R.C. - No. 2 Reception Centre
    1 ACRC - Air Crew Reception Centre
    21 ITW - Initial Training Wing
    31 ITW - Ditto
    WSTT - Wireless School Technical Training?
    Rootes Securities - see Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootes
    61 RAF Base & Dalton BS - 61(RCAF) Base was RAF Topcliffe North Yorkshire, RAF Dalton & RAF Wombleton were satelite airfields. BS - Bomber Support?

Regards
    Andy

Thanks

hello

As the airman was a flight engineer, I think the W could be a '4', for No. 4 School of Technical Training, these SoTTs being the normal way for flight engineer. If we could have the name of the station where this training was done, we could be sure.

If my memory serves me well, BS stands for 'Battle School'.

Joss

Eddie Fell Guest

I can confirm that 6 Group Battle School was at Dalton

Rootes Securities was probably the factory at Speke (Liverpool) as a lot of F/E's went there from 4 SoTT

21 ITW was at Torquay (29/5/43 - 16/9/43), Usworth (15/9/43 - 6/11/43) and Bridlington (6/11/43 - until it became 70 ITW on 21/4/44 still at Bridlington)

Can't find a 31 ITW

2 RC was at Cardington

Cheers

Eddie

nickager Guest

Default Peter Ager

Dear Andy, Joss & Eddie,

Thanks very much for your posts – exactly the info I hoped might be out there.

My father recalled that Peter (his older brother) spent some time in Torquay and I also know that he was at RAF St Athan in January 1944

For info, I posted Peter’s Story on the BBC People’s War website at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/15/a8510915.shtml

With best wishes,

Nick

Thanks

hello,

No. 4 SoTT was indeed based at St Athan so the handwriting is definitely a '4' and not 'W'

Joss

Thanks

Default Hello Nick

I was in touch with you a few years ago. It was exciting to read Peter`s Story.
    My brother, F/O Roy. E. Carter ( Nav RCAF 431) was also based at Croft, at the same time and was on some of the same raids. You will recall that his Halifax (NA 514) was also shot down by a nightfighter on the night of June 16/17, on route to Sterkrade. Roy was the first one out of the burning bomber and evaded until July 9th,1944 before he was executed at a `safehouse` in Tilburg, Holland along with F/O Walker, RAF, 83 Squadron and F/O Nott, RAAF/RAF, 77 Sq`n ( See Roy`s Story at http://www.bombercrew.com/Carter/rcarter.htm)
    Roy`s diary contains information about Dalton and also the only remainimg crew member WOP Tom Masdin ( 90 this year- he celebrated with a helicopter ride!) has told me stories about the evader training there. Apparently they would be given a small amount of money and then taken miles away from the base before being dropped off. They were to find their way back by whatever means, often walking or hitchhiking. If caught by the police they would be taken back to the station and often given tea. Apparently some went directly to a village pub and enjoyed the refreshments before attempting to go back. The experiences and lectures must have paid off as Tom, although caught as an evader in Belgium, survived as a POW and made it back to England and Canada. He has told me some interesting stories over the years but also tells me that he thinks of his crew every day, especially the 3 who died in the crash and of course my brother.

All the best.

Fred Carter, Cambridge, ON, Canada