Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 100 Squadron crew

Thanks

Default 100 Squadron crew

On 16th December 1943 (Black Thursday), Lancaster JB596 crashed in Lincolnshire. 4 of the crew were killed and three survived.
    I would like to hear from the relatives of the crew, with a view to obtaining photos of them, and to find out what happened to the survivors.
    One of the crew was rescued unconscious from the burning aircraft. I want to find out who rescued the Rear Gunner, (my father).
    The crew were:- P/O Robert Proudfoot (Pilot); Sgt S Viggers (Flt Eng); Sgt L Noyes (Nav); Sgt J Bamford (Bomb Aimer); Sgt B Heaton (WOP); Sgt B Phillips (Mid Upper Gunner); Sgt F Taylor (Rear Gunner).

Peter

Thanks

Default 100 sqdn crew

According to the www.cwgc.org site: Proudfoot from Brentwood ,Viggers from Cardiff , Bamford from Beeston [Norwich or Yorkshire ?] & Heaton from Crigglestone [Yorks.?] were killed & buried in home town CWGC graves .

So that leaves Noyes [navigator] ,Phillips [mid upper gunner] & your father who survived the crash .

Who would be closest to your father, by position, in the plane ?

A long process but you could try notices in local town newspapers where the crashed crews are buried ? Some relatives may know of details of the crash.A delicate subject !
    Otherwise 100 sqdn records or National Archives at Kew.There was a 100 sqdn reunion at RAF Leeming last year.Look in google.

Anne

Thanks

Hi Peter,
    Chorley BCL Vol 4 gives the crash site as Barnoldby-le Beck, 5 mls SW of Grimsby so it is possible that local residents could have made the rescue, perhaps Firemen or Police. The closest to the rear gunner would have been the Mid-Upper Gunner , Sgt Phillips. The other survivor was Sgt Noyes the Nav. Consider whether the crew knew that a crash was imminent. If they did, it is possible that all but the pilot moved to a strong point inside the a/c which, in the Lanc, is likely to have been facing aft and braced against the Main Wing spar that passed right across the fuselage and was probably the strongest point within the a/c, the F/E may well have remained alongside the pilot. It would be as well to look at local Papers from the crash area in case a Local man was involved, it would probably have been released for publication about 2 weeks after the incident, given wartime censorship, and the location might have been disguised in the paper.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default 100 Squadron crew

Thanks for your replies. Nice to hear from you again Anne.
    I know quite a lot about the actual crash, and I have visited the site. There is a very interesting privately owned Museum of Rural Life at Waltham Windmill near Grimsby, which has a very good display relating to 100 Squadron, which was based very nearby. In particular, there is a section devoted to this particular crash, with fragments of wreckage. With the kind help of the owner, Roger Stephenson, I have found out a lot of detail.
    Unfortunately, until this year, I am the first person related to any members of the crew to have contacted him. He has even instigated a memorial on the crash site.
    Hopefully, if anyone can help me to contact members of the families of the crew, I will be able to fill in the gaps for my own interest and also pass it on to Roger. Roger has investigated this crash since he was 11 years old and he is now in his 70s! He lived on the farm after the period of the crash, and his interest was aroused when the farmer started ploughing up small pieces of wreckage. Obviously, the greater part of the wreck had been taken away soon after the crash.
    Peter

Thanks

Default 100 sqdn crew

Hello Peter
    A check on www.bt.com directory [The Phone Book] of residential numbers brought up 4 Viggers in the Cardiff area & there is one Proudfoot in Dagenham .They may not be related to "your " Viggers or Proudfoot but they might be . The same with the other crashed crewmen, although their surnames are more common .

Letters to people of same surname & same hometown, enclosing a SAE, explaining your reason for a search sometimes work & people are interested, esp in the urban north !! Plus notices in local newspapers & a notice in Grimsby or Barnoldby newpaper/library /PO might find someone who remembers the crash ? Again I found a crew relative by asking at the appropriate village PO.

I was lucky to find the right person at Brentwood Council when looking for a crew relative but it's a long struggle & at times I used a professional researcher. [I can recommend a professional lady] . Presumably you don't have the survivors home towns ?

Some ex 100 sqdn reunion men may remember crewmen or the surviving men, if still around may be members themselves.

Anne

Thanks

Default Robert Proudfoot

Quote Originally Posted by fredsson View Post
    On 16th December 1943 (Black Thursday), Lancaster JB596 crashed in Lincolnshire. 4 of the crew were killed and three survived.
    I would like to hear from the relatives of the crew, with a view to obtaining photos of them, and to find out what happened to the survivors.
    One of the crew was rescued unconscious from the burning aircraft. I want to find out who rescued the Rear Gunner, (my father).
    The crew were:- P/O Robert Proudfoot (Pilot); Sgt S Viggers (Flt Eng); Sgt L Noyes (Nav); Sgt J Bamford (Bomb Aimer); Sgt B Heaton (WOP); Sgt B Phillips (Mid Upper Gunner); Sgt F Taylor (Rear Gunner).

Peter

Robert Proudfoot was my grandmother's first husband. Sadly she has just died but that prompted me to do a little research. I believe we have a photo of him somewhere. He's buried in Orsett as I'm sure you know. I'd be interested in any further information or pictures you have discovered

Marc

Thanks

Default Robert Proudfoot

Hi Marc

I hope that you see this! Somehow I missed your posting. I had actually given up on ever getting a response regarding my father's crew.

I have been investigating the crash for roughly five years now. I would be very grateful if you could share pictures of some of your memorabilia about Robert Proudfoot.

I have found out a lot about the crash, and I have gathered a lot of information, so I've quite a story to tell. I have photos of three of the crew (including my dad of course!) which I will gladly share with you.

Please PM me and we can exchange contact details.

With best regards

Peter

Thanks

Peter,

I live in Cardiff and researched this crash about 12 years ago. All of Viggers direct family are now dead, but I was in contact with (I believe) his nephew back then.

I could check my files and call them to see if they were still in the area if you liked?

I also have a photo of Viggers' headstone in Cathays Cemetery in Cardiff if it is of interest?

Drop me a PM if you are still looking at this crash and I'll send you what I have.
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Although not directly related

For interest, 100 Sqn are celebrating their 95th Anniversary this w/e at Leeming. They will be at the D&U of the BCM in London on 28th June along with all the other ex Bomber Command Sqns that remain operational today

Rgds

Tony

Thanks

Thanks Tony. I have attended several 100 Squadron Association reunions over the years, and until last November I was the Association Historian until I had to stand down because of other commitments. I hope to return to the role at some point in the future.

I'm unable to attend Leeming this weekend, but it does look like they have a cracking weekend planned - let's hope the weather holds out for them.
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945