Thread: Air 20 (Air drop of personnel and supplies over Europe)

Thanks

Default Air 20 (Air drop of personnel and supplies over Europe)

Question, I hope someone can answer. I am thinking of ordering the Air 20 (Air drop of personnel and supplies over Europe) files from the NA at Kew. Do they cover all squadron drops or just the Tempsford Squadrons? I am interested in 299, 620 and 196 Squadron, will their activities be recorded. Thank you. Chaz

Thanks

Default Re: Air 20 (Air drop of personnel and supplies over Europe)

Hi, sorry can't give you the answer you want but I am being cheeky in asking if you have the full NA ref in AIR20 referring to the drops as I have looked through the files on-line but cannot see it. My late father flew from RAF Newmarket in 1941 dropping agents/supplies and it would be great to see any records.
    Many thanks, Fred

Thanks

Charles,
    If you come across any of the meteorology associated with these drops I would be grateful for the 'heads up''.
    Each of these drops had to have a MEDW (Mean Equivalent Drop Wind). This was forecast in UK. It determined where (in 2 dimensions - depending on planned Drop Height) the a/c had to be when it released the load/personel such that it/they landed in the right place! From this the Nav worked out the CARP (Calculated Air Release Point). The Pilot had to get the a/c to that point. The Dispatcher/Load-Master (or whoever) had to make sure the load exited the a/c at the right time. I have spent very many happy(????) hours both in the air, and on some grotty DZs, observing this process both from the met point of view (was the MEDW right?) and from the load point of view (could the technique be improved?). I can tell you that the personnel tended to get a bit upset if (as a result of a duff met MEDW) they ended up in the pig-farm slurry pits near the end of the Everleigh DZ on Salisbury Plain!!! Things must have improved since then?!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 27th July 2022 at 14:47.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

There are a good number of files for air drops in AIR20 and each file contains a 'flimsy' with the drop instructions. It gives number of men, if any, number of containers, coordinates and dates. All in all there are thousands of them and all Tempsford as far as I can see. I will send you just one file so that you may see what I mean