Thread: R.A.F Cosford visit

Wolves Guy Guest

Default R.A.F Cosford visit

We are taking a group of students to R.A.F Cosford on 8th October 08, I have been asked by a member of staff what sort of interesting photographs the students should take while on the visit, and the best way to plan the day with so much going on at the base.
    We would like to make it an exciting day out for the students, so any help or advice would be welcome from forum menbers.
    I have not visited R.A.F Cosford myself yet, so it should be a great experience for myself too.

Thanks

Default RAF Cosford

There used to be a toy in the children's indoor play section but it's 7 years since I was there .It was a model supply drop .A model plane went along an overhead wire & dropped it's bundle of "supplies " .Of interest to me because my RAAF X 31 SAAF father was on a supply dropping mission when his Liberator disappeared, in Italy 1944.

I think the Liberator on show has been moved to RAF Hendon.It was in a building with other WW2 planes.

Otherwise others, who have been there more recently, may offer advice on more serious exhibits.

Anne

Wolves Guy Guest

Thank you Anne, that is much appriciated.
    I know most of the students are looking forward to the visit so it should be an intesting day. I have had a look at the R.A.F Cosford website today and there seems to be loads there to see, and it should keep the students busy for the day.

Dave

Thanks

hello

It depends how old your students are ?

I visited Cosford 15 years ago, and I wanted to return there, especially since the opening of the national cold war museum. I eventually went back on 30th June this year.

Obviously to me, the cold war exhibition is really interesting, but photographing some of the planes is a bit tricky, expecially those hanging from the ceiling. But for the majority of visitors, who are not aviation buffs, it's quite attractive. The distinctive wing planform of the EE Lightning is evident. The 3 V Bombers together in the same place, and actually most R.A.F. machines from the 50es and 60es there make it a good collection to see.

Second point of attraction are the prototypes : several Meteors, Fairey Delta, P1, SB5, SR53, Bristol 188, TSR2 and a few others. Unique machines, a hangar similar to the prototypes hall in the French Musée de l'Air in Le Bourget (Paris).

Third point : WW2 hangar, including a Spitfire Mk I, Hurricane Mk II, Mustang, japanese Ki-46 and Ohka flying bomb, German Me-410 and Me-163, Catalina, Mosquito, and a few others, including a very rare Lincoln.

The last hangar contains some very good exhibits too, like the German missiles and a DH Comet.

Definitely a museum I recommend. I took about 220 pictures and I'm sure I forgot one or two items.

Added bonus : at the time I was about to leave the museum to back to France, BoBMF Spitfire and Hurricane flew over, landed, taxied to the beginning of the runway (I ran and took a few pictures through the fence), took off and flew over us.

Joss

Wolves Guy Guest

Thank you Joss,
    Although they are yr 11 students 15/16, they will be doing a project later in the year so I think your advice may come in handy when they are there. I too am looking forward to the cold war museum.
    Heres to a good day I hope
    Dave