Thread: Pilot Release Bombing

Thanks

Default Pilot Release Bombing

Pilot release bombing is a term I have come across many times, including a reference to pilot release bombing ranges. I have always associted it with single engine or smaller twin engine aircraft but I came across a reference to pilot release bombing in a Stirling III. Were all aircraft fitted with this facility or was it just the early war types? If it was fitted how did the pilot know when to drop the bombs?

I know that Coastal Command featured pilot release and I suspect suitable marks were made on the Perspex as depth charge bombing guides.

Thanks

Default Re: Pilot Release Bombing

In addition to the Bomb Aimer’s station, I believe there was a bomb release mechanism at both the navigator’s and pilot’s stations. I know the navigator released bombs based on a timed run from a marker, but I don’t think the pilot ever did so tactically. The pilot did jettison bombs and would have to do so in an emergency, and also if necessary over a jettisoning area.

Jim

Jim

Thanks

That makes sense, especially if the bomb aimer (air bomber) was incapacitated. I wonder if the pilot release practice over ranges was partly procedural?

Thanks

Good evening. The Pilot's notes for Lancasters Mk 1, 3, 7 , and 10 show a "Bomb Doors Control" and a "Bomb Containers Jettison Button" and a "Bomb Jettison Control" in the pilot's station.
    Regards, Terry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Terry For This Useful Post:

JDCAVE (13th August 2022)