Thread: Dangerous Barracuda lived to die another day

Thanks

Default Dangerous Barracuda lived to die another day

Chief test pilot Stuart Carswell dropped experimental mines from Barracuda MX 613 on 9.10.44. He was given angle of dives and speeds. However Carswell was not happy the aircraft was up to it and eased off for some of the drops. Back at Prestwick he climbed onto the wing and was alarmed stress had wrinkled it. The damage could not be seen while flying because of the Barracuda's high wing. He refused to fly MX 613 again. I was therefore surprised to see a photograph of MX613 conducting trials of an airborne lifeboat at Broscombe Down early in 1945. I also believe it took part in aircraft carrier trials around the same time. I wonder what became of MX613? Sadly Carswell was killed in a flying accident a month after war ended. Colleagues with the Marine Experimental Establishment were shocked by the death of their most experienced test pilot.

Thanks

Default Re: Dangerous Barracuda lived to die another day

Robin

Ray Sturtivant's FAA Aircraft 1939-1945 has the following:

MX613 - Deld 15 MU 31.8.44; C Sqn A&AEE from W/E 11.1.45 ('Uffa Fox' lifeboat); Armament Flt RAE 24.3.45 (parachutes for various loads, also DCs & position error); Detd Eastleigh 19-22.6.45; Sherburn 21.9.45.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wwrsimon For This Useful Post:

robin bird (13th August 2022)