Thread: CWGC oversight

Thanks

Default CWGC oversight

Hello,
    I do not now remember how I can contact the CWGC to ask a question about war graves (in the UK, and maybe elsewhere ?).
    It has come to my notice that at least two war graves in my local cemetery are questionable.
    One grave is where the husband who died in 1918 has a CWGC headstone. But his wife who died in 1936 and buried in the same Burial plot has no mention or marker at all.
    Another is where a Naval widow of WW1 (who's husband is commemorated on the Plymouth Naval Memorial ) was buried in 1943 in a plot where now there is a WW1 CWGC Headstone for someone who died in 1917 and seems to be no relation to the widow at all. She also now has no mention or marker .
    Is this general practice of the CWGC, then the original Grave headstone is removed (or never was one) that only the Service person is commemorated on the headstone leaving the other person buried in the same plot with no marker or mention on a headstone ?
    It does not seem right that this should be so.

Alex
    Ps
    I hope that my explanation is clear and that the question is also understood.
    Last edited by Alex Smart; 30th August 2022 at 23:35.

Thanks

Default Re: CWGC oversight

Hi Alex, you can contact the CWGC via form on theior webiste:

https://www.cwgc.org/contact-us/

Just scroll down to the bottom.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CZ_RAF For This Useful Post:

Alex Smart (31st August 2022)

Thanks

The CWGC does not replace private grave markers - just monitors for condition if they contain the name of one of the war dead that CWGC has registered.

In some cases the family chose not to have a CWGC marker and use one of their choosing. The individual cemetery records show who is responsible for upkeep.

https://www.cwgc.org/our-war-graves-...e-to-our-work/

I suspect in your cases the answer is that no private marker was erected by the family for the relative and so the CWGC is the only agency to maintain/erect a marker on the joint plot.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015 to 2022 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Alex,

I think I know what you are getting at, but where would it end if the CWGC was on the hook to inscribe (or provide) headstones for relatives, regardless of whether people are buried in the same plot? It is not in their mandate, nor I believe, should it be. It is the responsibility of the family to provide marker's for non-CWGC mandated individuals.

Rgds

Jonny

Jonny

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jonny For This Useful Post:

Resmoroh (31st August 2022)

Thanks

Thank you Ross and Jonny for your replies.

My issue is that hopefully there must have been a CWGC headstone in place before the second person was buried. Both were WW1.
    So how/why would the same gravesite used for the second Burial ?
    In the second case that I mentioned there seems to have been no family connection between the WW1 casualty and the later Burial.
    Thanks again
    Alex
    Last edited by Alex Smart; 31st August 2022 at 10:50.

Thanks

Hello Pavel,

Thank you for the guidance . I had contacted them before but some time ago and could not recall how .
    Thank you for the link.
    Alex