Hello everyone

I came across this article in the Shields Evening News (from North Shields in Northumberland, now in Tyne & Wear) from Wednesday June 21st 1950, and thought I'd share it and the little I've been able to find out so far.

Flier on holiday
At present holidaying with his people at 184 Wallsend Road, North Shields, is Mr. Harry Davis, pilot with the Civil Airline Transport Company. With him is his American wife.
He had 4,000 flying hours to his credit, part of them with General Claire L. Chennault, of the wartime Flying Tigers.
Former R.A.F. pilot and one of two English fliers with General Chennault, Davis was wounded in January by Communist bullets.
He was sent to pick up an American airman and a Puerto Rican engineer stranded at Mengtse near the Indo-Chinese border.
As soon as he landed at the Mengtse Airfield, Communist soldiers swarmed over the runway. Trying to make a getaway, Davis was fired on.
Bullets penetrated the cockpit of the plane and one hit him in the leg. He was able to make his way to Haiphong, Indo-China, where he received treatment.
After recovering, he went to the United States to train for an American Airline Transport licence. He recently completed his training at Universal Field Training School, Lambert Field, St. Louis.
Before becoming a transport pilot, Davis had plenty of flying experience.
He enlisted in the Royal Air Force in June, 1942, and served for six years. He was one of the R.A.F. cadets trained in the United States.

For those that don't know, 'Civil Air Transport' was a somewhat unusual airline, originally set up in China in 1946 by General Chennault and later used for CIA operations in the region alongside its regular passenger services. It was later re-organised as Air America.

The area around Mengste in south east Yunnan was rich with tin deposits, and the operations by CAT were to remove as many loads of tin ingots as possible before the Communist Chinese took over the region.

The American pilot mentioned in the article was former U.S.M.C. pilot Captain Lawrance R. Buol, who was taken prisoner, and released in 1955:

https://reuters.screenocean.com/record/244006

Buol died in May 1956, some eight months after his release.

Harry Davis was born in 1921 in North Shields, Northumberland, and died in June 1988 in the U.S.A. I'm guessing he served as a transport pilot in the R.A.F. in the Far East during the war, but I'm struggling to find much else about this interesting pilot.

Regards

Simon