Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Mcfarland ww2 Raf - No service record found ?

Thanks

Default Andrew Mcfarland ww2 Raf - No service record found ?

Hi, i am trying to find out about my uncle during ww2, i only know a little, but have found out that he was on the Isle of Man from letters from his sister, my mum, letter dated 24-2-41, " brother in I.O.M. called back to England on short notice " letter dated 23-12-41 brother in Raf, in Douglas at present, also i have a couple of pictures of him serving in a hot country, that is all i know. Here is what i have found out, I.O.M. only had a few squadrons during war, only 2 went foreign, 258 Sqn and 457 Sqn, 258 fits the time frame better, and 457 was Australian, both at RAF Jurby, 258 went to far east, India,Ceylon,Burma,
    etc, the photos seem more like these places, i have given 258 Sqn more attention, and downloaded alot from the National Archives, i have gone through many lists of airmen but i cannot find him ? any advise or help welcomed, i am new to this forum, Raf team said there was no service record, were is next best location to find out about his service, thanks.

Thanks

Default Re: Andrew Mcfarland ww2 Raf - No service record found ?

Hello Fletch

Only one Andrew McFarland in Air 78 as far as I can see:

McFARLAND Andrew 1694478

Not sure how this Service Number ties in date-wise with the letters...?

Of course his Air 78 card may be missing. Or does he have any other forenames?

With regards to him being in the Isle of Man in 1941, he may have been with a training unit?

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Thanks for taking time to search Air 78, which i did not know about. No other forenames but we always called him "Drew", no training units seem to fit the timeline, almost all training units depart 1940, regards Mervyn.

Thanks

Just a thought, but your research appears to be focusing on the fact that your uncle served in a 'numbered' Squadron. He may not have done. A large part of the wartime RAF never went anywhere near numbered squadrons. Many were posted to Stations, HQs, training units, maintenance units, etc. In addition, individuals were taken on or struck off strength, outwith unit moves.

Not awfully helpful, I know, but without more details (and with no service record found), you are really facing an uphill battle here.

Rgds

Jonny

Thanks

Hi

You say all training units left IOM by 1940, this is incorrect, the units located at Jurby in WW2 were: -

No 5 Air Observer School (18 Sep - 1 Dec 1939, 19 Jul 1941 - 1 Feb 1944)
    No 5 Bombing & Gunnery School (1 Dec 1939 - 19 Jul 1941)
    Armament Synthetic Development Unit (xxx 1942 - Jun 1943)
    Air Navigation & Bombing School (ex-5 AOS, 1 Feb 1944 - 31 May 1945)

At Andreas: -

No 11 Air Gunners School (2 May 1943 - 19 Sep 1946)

There were also ASR units at Douglas and Ramsay

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Malcolm,thanks for correcting the training unit dates, had i used my head i would have realised my book was wrong, most units of this type stay in place for awhile, anyhow what you say about ASR units interest me as i know he was in Douglas at sometime, and i don,t know why, its hard when i have so little to go on, regards Mervyn.

Thanks

Hi Jonny, i only know two facts, he was on the IOM during most of 1941 and he served overseas, in a hot country, i got photos but i don,t know how to put on forum, so 258 sqn was at Jurby and then on Nov 41 went to the far east, that is why i picked 258 sqn, i just trying to join the dots, you seem to know the workings of the raf, how could he get oversea, would it be with a sqn or could it be with some other unit like a MU, maybe i barking up the wrong tree, regards
    Mervyn

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Hi Jonny, i only know two facts, he was on the IOM during most of 1941 and he served overseas, in a hot country, i got photos but i don,t know how to put on forum, so 258 sqn was at Jurby and then on Nov 41 went to the far east, that is why i picked 258 sqn, i just trying to join the dots, you seem to know the workings of the raf, how could he get oversea, would it be with a sqn or could it be with some other unit like a MU, maybe i barking up the wrong tree, regards
    Mervyn
    Don't get fixated on him moving from the IOM with a squadron, he could have been posted overseas as an individual to any unit, what was his trade?

Malcolm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Hi Jonny, i only know two facts, he was on the IOM during most of 1941 and he served overseas, in a hot country, i got photos but i don,t know how to put on forum
    Mervyn
    Hi Mervyn
    The easiest way of posting photos/images on the forum is with a photo hosting site such as Flickr or Imgur.
    I use Imgur and you can copy/paste the BB Code of the Image direct to one of your posts.

rgds baz

Thanks

Could you expand on your "Raf team said there was no service record," please.

Was it RAF Disclosures at Cranwell, what info did you give for the search and was the reply no record or no record found?

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015 to 2022 - All rights reserved.