Thread: RAF Benson Veterans

Thanks

Default RAF Benson Veterans

Do any Veterans who served at RAF Benson during World War Two (or their relatives) frequent this forum or does anyone know of any who are willing to share their wartime experiences.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Andy, Hi,
    The list of wartime Commanding Officers is at http://www.rafweb.org/Stations/Station%20OCs-Central.htm#Benson. Might be some possible clues/contacts there?
    If you can visit Benson try to get down the corridor in the Offs Mess from the Entrance Vestibule to the East Wing. I did two very happy (well post War!) tours there - the East Wing was mainly offices at that time. But that corridor has very many framed photographs lining the walls (with captions) of events in Benson's history. Might also be some clues there.
    I shall watch the progress of this one with some interest. There was one particularly riotous Dining In night that I was present at. On the following Monday morning I got a call from the CO's PA "The Station Commander would like to see you for a little chat at 1100 - do NOT be late!!".
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the tip. I've been to Benson a few times (to have a play on the chopper sims) but I've never been in the Officers Mess. Unfortunately my mate no longer works there so my options for having a look around have diminished somewhat.

Jolly japes in the mess, sounds like you had fun whilst you were there.

In your time at Benson do you recall if any of the local pubs were adorned with photos from the war as is still the case with a few pubs near to wartime bases.

Thanks again.

Andy Fletcher
    Last edited by Andy Fletcher; 7th October 2008 at 15:57. Reason: Typo

Thanks

Andy, Hi.
    The only one I know of is the Beetle & Wedge in Moulsford. That used to be the TQF 'pub'. Us 'lower orders' were not welcomed - even though I worked with (and as part of) TQF on one particular occasion. Now, whether that pub has any wartime bits & pieces I know not!! Give 'em a try - they're in the fone book! P'raps better we continue this off Forum, but that is up to you - you've got my email address from the Members List.
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

I am not sure if 1 PRU Blenheims were based at Benson, but if so, you will have at least memories published.

Thanks

Hi Franek,

I don't think 1 PRU were still operating Blenheims after they moved to Benson, but not 100% sure.

What is the name of the of the book/memoirs you allude to, I'd probably find it of interest anyway.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher

Thanks

Up to the brightest star by Bolesław Pomian (Piątkowski). A very nicely written book published just after the war, very accurate and well fitting to a log book. Pomian-Piątkowski flew with 1 PRU and then with 45 TG.
    PS I have Polish version only.

Thanks

Default RAF Benson Veterans

Hello Andy,

In the beginning of 2000 I was very lucky to have an exchange of correspondance with some members of 541 Sqn but since then some of them left us.

In that period I was told that Reunions were held there and it seems that documentation was there but unfortunately the contact that I had with Benson was under zero.

One of my interest was the Belgians who served with RECCE units.

In that period I had a contact with madame A Winter Williams from Cottesbrooke she had some knowledge , I have her address but I do not know if she still with us.

Best regards

Rene

Thanks

Andy,
    I've sent you a PM
    Rgds
    Peter Davies